Police Log Numbers

About to finalize a new permission so visited the local nick to check on procedures for issuing log numbers for the coming activity (and to avoid a visit from the Firearms Unit).

They appeared not to know what I was talking about but were interested when I mentioned a silenced air rifle, but no help.

Any advice out there about this subject would be most welcome.

Call the non emergency number 101 and explain what your going to be doing (vermin control)

They will take your details. Name and address. Location of where you are going to be undertaking the vermin control. Times etc. vehicle your in.

You are then issued with a number.

When your done. Ring them back and let them know.

But plan for this. It took me 25 mins to get through the other night on a job. And another 15 to tell them I had done.

About to finalize a new permission so visited the local nick to check on procedures for issuing log numbers for the coming activity (and to avoid a visit from the Firearms Unit).

They appeared not to know what I was talking about but were interested when I mentioned a silenced air rifle, but no help.

Why do you need a log number???????????,the only time I inform the police is when I intend to go lamping with the rifle,and that is not a legal obligation,but a good way to avoid a visit,as you say,and when you ring them now you get the second degree,

Why do you bother ?

If someone phones the cops, they turn out regardless of whether you have a log number or not, THEY CANNOT IGNORE A FIREARMS RELATED CALL.

Waste of time.

If you have permission to be where you are, it is none of there beeswax when you are out.

• Like 2

i only call,when we go to the business park,as its one of the conditions from the park manager.any other places i don't bother.

there's no law that you have to call them,it just saves hassle and a rifle pointed at you :icon_eek:

yeeeup...they dont know or won tell you...... sooo how can they arrest you?

I always have to log in, my perm is only about 1/4 mile down the road from the local nick and has a main road running along one edge of it.

As moxy said call 101, give your details and always call back at the end other wise they will call you and give you a bollocking.

ATB.

The instructions on how to do it is right. If you don't want to phone them then that is your choice, but I do it on both of my permissions (one can be seen from train line, the other is near a road) because there will be the one occasion that the public reports this man with a gun.

So the choice is yours young man.

This perm is a Council site so I wanted to get things right! Called in to the nick en-route and was given a number but they weren't too excited, even less when I went back to cancel on return. The general opinion seems divided whether to bother or not and the cops don't seem bothered either - until someone complains - so I think I'd better go along with it if only to keep the Council happy.

Anyway thanks to all for the info and stay behind the pointy end.

Its funny but i do it on one permission with the air rifle but i dont do it when im out with the rimmy . and surprisingly ive had more fire arm response team call outs after getting a log number .

They know all about you after getting your name as ive been asked for the number of my firearm ticket i just say im using a air rifle and it doesnt require a licence , but some of them rabble on and i say you dont need that info they say they do i ask for there name and who is the duty inspector as its my believe there civilian anti's that some times answer the phones ?. i give them a finishing time and just go home and theres no need to call back