Anyone Heading Out Soon?

Just curious about everyone's plans for starting the season. What size of rabbits are you seeing and when do you think you will get out?

Think I might take a ferret and go for a look this weekend on some grazed fields. I started the end of August last year and the rabbits were a good size. Bagged the strip of unkept land next to that permission finally (eight months of emails) which is their stronghold so will have a walk round, although its very overgrown.

Still a bit early round my way tbh. Am thinking it's probably going to be sept time when I will get out.

Still a few small rabbits about and not much meat on them yet. Like you say everywhere overgrown but I will just set the long net up so shouldn't be an issue.

Done a bit of pest control yesterday. No pregnant doe`s, no babies and no digs. Managed double figures and a black one. Also had one small one squeeze through the net, which was strange, as I caught smaller ones in in same section of longnet. Most of the cover had been strimmed, so that wasnt really a problem. Just hope we have a colder winter down south as most of the cover was still standing come Feb.

I will start in September round here,as said earlier there's still loads of cover around, I have picked up a nice piece of permission just local, which I can do now as the rabbits are in very sparcely bottomed hedges, but still think its early trouble is there's talk of mixy about 40 mile away, so I am towing with the idea,I might have a look with the longnet, if I get a favourable wind,

Had a lot of mxy down my way. It's funny you say about the black rabbit bob. A neighbour (who was known as everyone by me as the poacher), years ago caught a black one & the whole day after that, they didn't see another rabbit bolt. We was out ferreting about 4 years ago a black one bolted and he went "joner! Joner! Joner! I ain't touching that, f**k that!", ha ha made me laugh.

Had a lot of mxy down my way. It's funny you say about the black rabbit bob. A neighbour (who was known as everyone by me as the poacher), years ago caught a black one & the whole day after that, they didn't see another rabbit bolt. We was out ferreting about 4 years ago a black one bolted and he went "joner! Joner! Joner! I ain't touching that, f**k that!", ha ha made me laugh.

Ha ha ha. Weird though,it was one of the last few I had. :hmm: Im not sure it was a true wildy, it was home alone and had really tough skin when I gutted it.

• Like 1

im starting tomorrow was going to bolt for dogs on open setts but a farmers been on to keeper

for someone to do a fence line absolutely lifting with rabbits don't normally believe farmers over

numbers of rabbits but the keeper went up midday yesterday and saw over 20 big rabbits so its

the fence line tomorrow

Been out and had a few on the open warrens not too many about but enough to have abit of sport with the dogs not had any of the nets out yet though I'm itching to get cracking on some good thick hedges to try my new ditch nets out. A lot of black ones about this year aswell. Atb for the season folks.