Best Nets To Buy And Permission

Will be looking to start going out ferreting once my gills are old enough and just wondered what the best nets to buy are money wise, also how do people get permission? Just go ask the land owner?

A lot of door knocking and hard work and be prepared for a lot of knock backs.

• Like 1

put adverts up in auction marts and places farmers congregate, knock on doors , write letters, be polite even if they say NO , which most will but if you act like a responsible person and thank them for there time then the next time you ask you might be lucky, if you see farmers in fields stop and talk to them , and if ya go knocking on doors beware of farm dogs lol

mick dadd sell nets ..he's in sheffield.. Buy a few off him and he might even point you in the right direction as where to go knocking locally.

his number is on here somewhere .

Thanks for the help noticed there was somebody close so will have a word and see what he says. Was also going to go and knock and ask a few but with me only being 26 i can see what the answer will be anyway lol

same here pal I'm 26 n been trying for a bit of permission for past few months for when the season starts but no luck yet just got to keep trying:)

Go with your contact details printed out and a bit about yourself written down.

Inform them of your knowledge of the countryside - no damage to fences -awareness/ knowledge of livestock . -making sure gates are shut etc

Best of Luck

Having a permission is essentially a job, you may want to go looking clean and smart. Ideally, id take some sort of paperwork with you: as you would with a CV or business card to give your credentials; past permissions, referees, insurance if you have any and contact details.

I doubt you'll ever need insurance with ferreting but on the off chance, i believe something like BASC will cover it.

Go being yourself too, be polite and answer any questions they may ask honestly too- these people can smell bullshit miles away. With any doubt of a lie or you being a liability to them, you can wave any hope goodbye.

I'd always advise the above going by my experience, as well as my parents and close relations being landlords and landowners and you wouldn't believe the scruffy looking idiots and stupidity they see on a regular basis.... you dont have to do much to set a good and lasting impression :thumbs:

White

edit: oh, leave any rifles, ferrets and equipment at home, only if you get the permission they'll be interested and dont expect to get started there and then! ;)

Edited by WhiteRabbit

People over complicate things. Walk up to the door knock on it ask politely for ferreting permission and answer any questions they have. Theyl say yes or no. I don't see the need to dress smart or carry paperwork to ask for ferreting permission.

Edited by pie-eater