• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only just gone and smashed my PB. I was reeling in one rod to pack away, when the other went off.   13lb 7oz.     Over the moon.

I am a BARBEL fisherman.       Get in.............

Objective achieved!! A River Dove double. Get in.........   Only taken me two and a half seasons.     10lb 10oz. My new personal best.     HAVE IT!!

Posted Images

post-57067-0-79510100-1435251327_thumb.jpg

The Pump house peg. Possibly the most well known swim on the BMAA stretch of the Dove. Home to the bigger Barbel in the river. I think the river record came from here earlier this year. 17lbs odd. GB feeder straight out in front. Some sort of Boilie down stream to my left.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Pump house peg. Possibly the most well known swim on the BMAA stretch of the Dove. Home to the bigger Barbel in the river. I think the river record came from here earlier this year. 17lbs odd. GB feeder straight out in front. Some sort of Boilie down stream to my left.

Boilie! :icon_eek: you've changed!! lol

Good luck mate, can't knock your effort :thumbs:

• Like 1

Don't be silly. Done as in gone home. Done as in pis#ed off. Done as in can't catch. That sort of done.

No fish...........Again.

You calmed down yet?? Lol

• 4 weeks later...

They're Greys Prodigy Barbel rods. 2lbs test curve, a bit OTT for the size of the river, but the Barbel run to 18lbs (Not that i'd ever know) and some of the swims are very weedy and a bit tight, so you need to pull back a bit when you get one. (So i've been told)

• Like 1

Don't be silly. Done as in gone home. Done as in pis#ed off. Done as in can't catch. That sort of done.

No fish...........Again.

Have you tried fishing at the back end of fast water where it starts to drop off in to deeper water . Ive always done better in well oxygenated faster water in summer rather than the slower moving deeper pegs . Dont know if you have any pegs like that on your stretch but if you have its well worth fishing them and ingnoring where most of the other anglers fish

• Like 1

LOL just a bit OTT how much were they?

£130 for the pair off the Bay. The 2lbs TC is a seprate top. I use the quiver top with the 6oz tip in it. They come with two tops and 3-4-6oz tips. Pretty forgiving TBH.

I also fish the Trent, so sometimes a big chuck with a heavy feeder is needed.

No fish...........Again.

Have you tried fishing at the back end of fast water where it starts to drop off in to deeper water . Ive always done better in well oxygenated faster water in summer rather than the slower moving deeper pegs . Dont know if you have any pegs like that on your stretch but if you have its well worth fishing them and ingnoring where most of the other anglers fish

The Dove is a funny river. Most of the big Barbel are in one stretch, most of the fishing gets done in this stretch. There are some faster swims with streamer weed in them. They don't seem to be fished very often. One or two drop offs, but not many. Most of the swims that are fished regularly are in the deeper water. It does go through though. 2-3oz leads and feeders required.

Very rarely do you see Barbel in the river, only ever seen one. That was on a patch of gravel cleaning it's self. There's 9 1/2 miles to go at, i've walked most of it, and TBH the stretch i'm fishing at the moment looks the most fishy. Unfortunatly, I can't catch. I have fished other stretches of the river, faster stretches, still didn't catch.

I'm off later. I've spoken to 2 of the lads that are catching. Seems i'm putting too much bait in. I spoke to one of them Saturday, he'd only put 5 Boilies in, he'd had 2 fish that night. A 10 and a 13. I caught my usual.................Sweet FA.