Following My Gardenenin Thread - Turfing.

get all the stones out and try to level as much as possible ,it will make it easier to mow ,then get some grass seed from wilkos, cheap as chips takes around 6 weeks ;) good turf costs as much as cheap carpet, a couple of kilos of seed is a fiver , like painting its all about the prep..

Yep, get the stone out, top soil and turf, don't forget to break up the compact soil you already have, to aid drainage for the new grass, before you put your top soil down BUT remember also... It ain't the best time for either seed or turf.... So, water water water!!

do a patch test on your lawn mate. by that i mean just grab the grass in a random couple of places and pull it lightly to see if it lifts. if it dont lift then it has started to take root. if its taken root then you can give it a light mow. mine took 3-4 weeks to root enough for a mow, you should have been advised to cut no more than a third of its length off the first time you mow then gradually lower the mower each cut there after until you have it at your preferred length.

it wont hurt to give the grass some lawn feed after its been down about 5 weeks just to get it growing good and help it establish well.

i would personally rake some of the bigger stones off before putting the top soil on and turfing the rest. it will only take you ten minutes or so.