After A Long Think

As you can see from my post after 20 years of canary breeding this will be my last season,bred 137 this year and done it all now,keeping some for pete and the other lad over there the rest will go tomo,just had enough and need a brake from the canaries.Will not give up totally as keeping the bullies and a few sib goldfinch but going are the boxes with the canaries and a few more aviaries will be put up.Before anyone asks canaries have already gone to another breeder as for others I promised gnasher a pair of this years greys and a mate will take a few so if ya need any greys pm me and ill see whats left as got a good few flying and a few due to hatch

• Like 3

:icon_eek: Staggered!

Of course, I have absolutely no concept of what it must be like, to have managed birds for so long. I don't suppose for a minute that it compares to Dogs. But, to dispose of something that's been so much of ye life, for so long?

As ye say though; " Done it all now. " Respect!

After so long pete breeding canaries,i have now decided ill finish this year.Ive bred nearly every breed there is to breed and I thought long and hard last year and decided ill try another season and see how I feel,but after so much time spent with canaries I nearly turned into one,days consist of 5am rise birds took 1 1/2 hrs in the morning to do go to work, come back at 6 then another 2 hrs in the hulls,weekend 5hrs a day but like I said wont be totally packing in just canaries and british goldfinch need a little family time especially after the mrs putting up with it for 23 years but will still have birds just down sizeing to something more manageable but you birds are here and will be with you sep after the moult mate

• Like 6

Appreciate that last, Taz :signthankspin:

I've actually scrapped the idea of trying to use my little store room. F**k it. I'm going for broke! Taking my tools into the little room. I'll give over the Massive room to my birds!

It's so big, in there, I can have all the breeders I want, and an indoor aviary! Suffice to say; It was originally the Barn of this f**king farmstead! :D

I really must get my feelers out for more cages though. I have a panel built aviary here. I have my J Clips and cable ties too. So, I can practically knock up any sort of holding pens I like.

But, I have just the one block of three Double Breeders. Get a couple of pairs producing successfully and I can soon see the need for more.

Trouble is; I like buying up cages. I just simply f**king Hate painting them! :laugh:

The break will probably do you good Taz....re-energise the batteries so to speak.......i think when animal husbandry stops being enjoyable and becomes a chore its normally time for a break......and having done everything you,ve wanted to do maybe the motivations not there......

You are the best birdman i know, not that i know more than a handful but you might find you just cant do things by halves some folk are just born to do what they do and when a man has a serving attitude like you do people are drawn to you.................and naturally your birds also.

Enjoy your cutting down period.......it wont last long :D

• Like 3

i know nothing of breeding birds but my brother bred budgies for 30 odd years and like you had enough sold everything ,cost him a small fortune building his avairy,even showed a few too and won but he said it was the hardest thing he did and will try and get into it again one day ..

bred a few hybrids tuffty bully/goldie linnet/goldie goldie/siskin also bred a few mules over the years but now fancy having a go at the eumos and the satinnets also keeping the sibo goldies white top and cinnamon sibo bullies just aviaries now and like I said british goldfinch bred for 12 years and they will go at end of moult but never totally give up only canaries and down sizeing :thumbs:

• Like 1

bred a few hybrids tuffty bully/goldie linnet/goldie goldie/siskin also bred a few mules over the years but now fancy having a go at the eumos and the satinnets also keeping the sibo goldies white top and cinnamon sibo bullies just aviaries now and like I said british goldfinch bred for 12 years and they will go at end of moult but never totally give up only canaries and down sizeing :thumbs:

Exellent Taz,

The bully x goldie , what way round was the mating?

Any pictures of your hybrids?

Edited by TUFFTY

Exellent Taz,

Bully x anything will be Bully hen,as with chaffie's as well the cocks cannot produce with anything else but their own kind mate :victory: .

Exellent Taz,

Bully x anything will be Bully hen,as with chaffie's as well the cocks cannot produce with anything else but their own kind mate :victory: .

Yeah I know fireman.

I only asked as the man said bully x goldie

And not goldie x bully.

Lol lol ifvyou know what i mean

• Like 1

I think to breed 137 canaries in one year is just a amazing taz true dedication but I do think if you have too many it can get overwhelming and you can not spend enought time with all of them as you got too many respect to you for cutting down so you can spend more time with family and breed more mutation goldies hope you do well with all of them atb

Exellent Taz,

Yeah I know fireman.

I only asked as the man said bully x goldie

And not goldie x bully.

Lol lol ifvyou know what i mean

I do mate,or is it do i ? :laugh:

• Like 1