Was reading a thread earlier and a comment got me thinking someone said if the dogs digging theres a rabbit home . Its mostly ferreting and mooching i do with my dogs when they mark i prefer a silent mark until there told to get it out then they will dig but not untill there told i know you can go back and do the burrow later but prefer to get it done there and then just a thought heres some pics of my we mutts marking no digging or chewing at burrows think most dogs are the same untill there told to get it out 20131026_084147_zps81150bd2.jpg20131011_102503_zps4aaa4adf.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most dogs will readily help you to locate a beast.. lost in woodland.   I just ask em,...Where is it ?....and off we all go,...ASAP...

Was reading a thread earlier and a comment got me thinking someone said if the dogs digging theres a rabbit home . Its mostly ferreting and mooching i do with my dogs when they mark i prefer a silent

not the steadiest dog at a hole, was my old bull lurcher, had to dig him out a few places... the twat... but I was actually blessed with old Bud, though he was so hard to keep up with back when I didn

Posted Images

that was the comment i put on one of my topics thats just the way those dogs of birds mark. :thumbs:

yes not just birds dogs seen alot of dogs doing it the comment just made me think trigger nothing against any one the ground i do is really step going back to do burrows again can be a effort lol

Mostly terriers iv seen diggin at holes when marking, got one here that does it if you don't tell her after she marks, I genuinely don't mind it aslong as dog stops when you say so, lurcher don't dig when marking nice silent steady mark but can't say iv noticed diffrence in bunnys bolting between what dog marks, suppose it all depends his good the ferret is that's up the bunnys arse lol

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 2

The old ridgeback cross I had use to dig and chew at holes as a mark but little blue bitch I got now will just lie infront on the hole im not realy bothered aslong as they mark lol

• Like 1

Had a lurcher that would bite lumps out of the soil roots aswell luckily didn't use her for much ferreting the noise it made whilst waiting for the bolt due to the spoil in its throat lol. I wouldn't mind the dog digging if I only used ferrets occasionally or was on abit of ground wich didn't hold a lot.

not the steadiest dog at a hole, was my old bull lurcher, had to dig him out a few places... the twat... but I was actually blessed with old Bud, though he was so hard to keep up with back when I didnt run the dogs with trackers and I did a lot of pest control, he also got noisey later in his life and would bark a bit at a mark, he never marked rabbits, and was always hunting up, he could get quite far out searching for occupied fox earths, and I often found him after a good old search, which was tiring in itself never mind then entering a terrier and having a dig, but the shooting estates paid me well enough for getting a result, and tons of credit must go to that dog.

The other lurchers I had were very much the same as each other and both marked like a pointer, like statues, great for the ferreting

DnN

• Like 4

the dog wee had it would be a silent positive mark at a rabbit to ground, but the mark was different at fox eating at roots an soil it would be the same at a squirrel the dog would be vocal an eating the bark of the tree

• Like 1

not the steadiest dog at a hole, was my old bull lurcher, had to dig him out a few places... the twat... but I was actually blessed with old Bud, though he was so hard to keep up with back when I didnt run the dogs with trackers and I did a lot of pest control, he also got noisey later in his life and would bark a bit at a mark, he never marked rabbits, and was always hunting up, he could get quite far out searching for occupied fox earths, and I often found him after a good old search, which was tiring in itself never mind then entering a terrier and having a dig, but the shooting estates paid me well enough for getting a result, and tons of credit must go to that dog.

The other lurchers I had were very much the same as each other and both marked like a pointer, like statues, great for the ferreting

DnN

One of my best was a little Beardie/Grey. She'd hunt for miles, but on a couple of occasions she came back and fetched me to show me where she'd found an occupied earth, in true 'Lassie' style. She'd come back to me, look very hard at me, then turn and trot away, looking back over her shoulder to make sure I was following. She once found a fox on a small cliff face deep in brambles and did that: luckily it was still there when we got there, and the terriers pushed it out. That dog was the most intelligent critter I've ever owned, bar one.

• Like 1

DnN

One of my best was a little Beardie/Grey. She'd hunt for miles, but on a couple of occasions she came back and fetched me to show me where she'd found an occupied earth, in true 'Lassie' style. She'd come back to me, look very hard at me, then turn and trot away, looking back over her shoulder to make sure I was following. She once found a fox on a small cliff face deep in brambles and did that: luckily it was still there when we got there, and the terriers pushed it out. That dog was the most intelligent critter I've ever owned, bar one.

I often wished my lurchers would do that. often wishing them to take me back to a kill but they never did... Ive heard of a few collie types that do

• Like 1

DnN

I often wished my lurchers would do that. often wishing them to take me back to a kill but they never did... Ive heard of a few collie types that do
same here mate wish mine would take me back on a few occasions come back panting and bit of blood around the mouth looking awful proud of themselfs !
  • Like 1

I reckon most dogs, if trained to do so, would take their owners back to a kill. How hard would it be to teach the dog 'show me' commands? Starting when a pup, and rewarding it when it gets to where you have previously stashed something. No different to teaching drug dogs to search and mark? Or sniffer dogs finding people buried in avalanches etc. The only difference would be teaching the dog to take you to where it had killed. I must admit, I've never tried to do that: maybe a task for the future.

• Like 1

Your probably absolutely right, but I would argue that some dogs would be un willing to do that, or deffo require a much more skilled hand than mine... whether right or wrong, I rarely train more than the basics, the rest I leave to the dog, so if its not in them, I tend to just accept it.

However, I did solve the problem... with tracking gear.. Now I never hunt without it. Before I got the garmin, I have even trawled back up the hill with another dog looking for stuff in the dark lol the things ye do!

I reckon most dogs, if trained to do so, would take their owners back to a kill. How hard would it be to teach the dog 'show me' commands? Starting when a pup, and rewarding it when it gets to where you have previously stashed something. No different to teaching drug dogs to search and mark? Or sniffer dogs finding people buried in avalanches etc. The only difference would be teaching the dog to take you to where it had killed. I must admit, I've never tried to do that: maybe a task for the future.

prob as easy as learning it to retrieve :laugh: