Boar Hunting

Was up to 15 degrees mate, with the mist and damp burning off.

Scent was pretty good first day, but half way through second day just went dead. Put a fox out and saw where it ran, hounds started off on the line and lost it within 100 yards. Felt like hunting the hills in July lol.

Plenty of fox scent. And with a bit more hush, we may have scored a few. As it was two were sighted, but again, no running dog near enough to get a run.

As said, we learnt a lot and had a laugh doing it.

One of the biggest issues, as was pointed out by Joe, was that the dogs that could find and hunt the boar, couldn't stop them, and those that may have been able to stop them, couldn't find and hunt them.

• Like 1

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Battida Hunts, Aragon, Spain January 2015 November 2015        

Biglurks - For the majority of the time, most of the lurchers were off the slip.   I'm being very honest in saying that I doubt many on here would have managed better, given the conditions etc. Ever

Just to add some details.   We have decided no guns will be present, as the days are focused on the dogs. The days will be run like training days, and would suit folk who would like to get their hu

Posted Images

Was up to 15 degrees mate, with the mist and damp burning off.

Scent was pretty good first day, but half way through second day just went dead. Put a fox out and saw where it ran, hounds started off on the line and lost it within 100 yards. Felt like hunting the hills in July lol.

Plenty of fox scent. And with a bit more hush, we may have scored a few. As it was two were sighted, but again, no running dog near enough to get a run.

As said, we learnt a lot and had a laugh doing it.

One of the biggest issues, as was pointed out by Joe, was that the dogs that could find and hunt the boar, couldn't stop them, and those that may have been able to stop them, couldn't find and hunt them.

use think if use could of hunted the lurchers off the lead yous would of got some
  • Like 1

Biglurks - For the majority of the time, most of the lurchers were off the slip.

I'm being very honest in saying that I doubt many on here would have managed better, given the conditions etc. Everything pretty much, was against us. But it was fun having a crack!

I'm sure that there are folk reading this thread who think their lurcher would have been pulling things right left and centre. But it's easy to think that from an armchair. :thumbs:

• Like 9

Did you have set drives that they do en mass with more dogs and guns or were you allowed to choose your own routes .I guess the quarry is pretty switched on to how a days driven works . Did you approach the drives from further out or just gather at the start and push on .

Biglurks - For the majority of the time, most of the lurchers were off the slip.

I'm being very honest in saying that I doubt many on here would have managed better, given the conditions etc. Everything pretty much, was against us. But it was fun having a crack!

I'm sure that there are folk reading this thread who think their lurcher would have been pulling things right left and centre. But it's easy to think that from an armchair. :thumbs:

not at all mate spent 2 days hunting boar with friends in nz I know the hills you go threw and we only ended up with 2 and that was enuf for me it was just when I read no deer were too be taken is the reason why I wondered if the dogs were on the slip hunting or if yous were just bushing too the lurchers

To be fair if I was there on my own or with a couple of others I think I may have approached it totally differently. But then I'm an opinionated so and so. Maybe it'd have worked, maybe it wouldn't - but I'd love to try, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I would go back but not to do it was we did and ideally having tweaked te combination of dogs a little.

I certainly saw plenty of game and I think if at one or two points I had two or three catch dogs with me, rather than miles away with other folk - then I may have killed one.

We were all out of our comfort zones, both men and dogs, but I think some were a good bit further out of it than others.

But I think for what we had to work with, and considering the fact that many of the dogs and men had never hunted together etc we did fairly well!

I'll be going back there one day and I'll kill one of those damn pigs haha.

• Like 1