Old Otter Hound Pic

I think in the old days some packs were used all year round. Fox in the Winter, otter in the Summer.

I once read that the Rev. Russell was not unknown to kill a June fox and a November otter.

I was fishing a small private lake this morning for Rudd when yer man slipped in to the water about 6 foot to my left, seen me and dived. I then had a chain of bubbles under my rod tip and he vented about 40 feet to my right.

About an hour later I watched him fishing for about a half an hour.

What a way to start a day.

A big dog I'd say.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

. Sorry about the picture quality. Eastern countys on the hodder. 1920's

Bit of info on what the used long ago here - https://archive.org/stream/ottersotterhunti00came#page/36/mode/2up   Any other free online books around?

. Waiting for the pub to open

Posted Images

We were drawring a plantation up on a moutainside side miles away from any water. Who came lopping out a big dog otter the hounds total ignored it. The drafting of foxhounds was common the old adedge not what you know but its who you knew

Edited by gonetoearth

The packs that hunted the hodder calder an ribble were invited as the ribbledale oha lost thier pack to rabies 1871 So they invited other pack such as the eastern counties , cheriton , culmstock , kendal and district

The hounds mentioned as being lost to rabies were owned & hunted by a man called

James Lomax a local squire who lived at Clayton Hall, Great Harwood, Lancashire.

The hall existed in its original form till 1977 when it was demolished and anew smaller hall was built.

Lomax hunted from approximately 1828 till 1871 most of his hunting being on the Ribble, the Lune & their tributaries

but took his hounds all over the country by invitation

In his book a DIARY OF OTTERHUNTING it mentions that all but three of the hounds and six terriers were put down .

On the back page of the book is a print of a hound led outside an old wooden kennel , the title on the print is Carver_

Last of The Pack ,been trying to load it but failed

. Do you own that dairy

Yes but infortunatly not the original print , the original 1892 print had more illustrations .

The one I have was a 1986 reprint

Check out google Diary of Otter Hunting by James Lomax think there are still some copies about

. Thought so the original is worth a few groats

Yes but infortunatly not the original print , the original 1892 print had more illustrations .

The one I have was a 1986 reprint

Check out google Diary of Otter Hunting by James Lomax think there are still some copies about

. Thought so the original is worth a few groats

Only ever seen two original print copies one owned by Ken Green onetime huntsman to Colne Valley Beagles and general all round hunting stalwart sadly died two years ago.

The other I tracked down to a local library , they didnt even know they had it till I convinced them go check their archives

let me see it but wouldnt lend it out , tried to buy it but no joy went back to the archives

What era are we talking about ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Welsh has been introduced in the last few decades but I'd presume when that photo was taken that Otterhound blood was easily got, even though then huntsmen were starting to prefare the foxhound.

Interesting.

Bit of info on what the used long ago here -

https://archive.org/stream/ottersotterhunti00came#page/36/mode/2up

Any other free online books around?

• Like 4

Great tread , we used to hunt with an old guy 20 years ago he has passed awey now he told us about hunting otters years ago, he was a water bailiff and used an irish terrier to hunt otter when he was out doing his rounds, he said that the irish terrier was a great dog for otter but he always said that no dog was able for an otter when it took to water he saw an otter take an irish terier under the water and spin him around until the dog was nearley dround he had to wade out and save the dog before the otter drowned it.

• 2 months later...

Around 1982 I went to Lowther for the first time with some fellas from the old Wigan club. On the way back we stopped at a pub where, if I'm not mistaken, the Landlord was Master, or former, to an Otterhound pack.

Nice boozer, chock full of memorabilia. He knew we were coming and made us very welcome and all the talk was about the future of the pack and trying, under very difficult times, to maintain it but its future looked dark. Being younger, rather than listen to the conversation, I spent too much time gazing at the walls and then all too soon we were on our way home and to this day thats all the memory I have of the place... Anyone fill in the gaps..?

check out e-books, diary of a otter hunter book, free read plus other titles. mostly old books. type in free e books and search for hunting

Used to have The Diary of a Otter Hunter,gold leafed embossed otter on the cover with a lovely leather spine,put it in one of my kids grand parents safe to keep it safe and it dissapeared :cray: ,the ex sold it but still won't admit it the cnut :censored:

She still alive Fireman, LOL.

Always nice to have a collectors item in the book collection.

I once had the chance to buy a first edition of Claphams "Foxhunting on the Lakeland Fells" for £50.

I didn't buy it and bought a reprint several years later for £30.

Sorry to this day I didn't buy the 1st edition.

• Like 1