Whippet X Border Terrier

years ago my whirrier ( jack x whippet ) got to to my russell bitch the resulting litter were cracking bushing dogs catching loads in cover the 1/4 whippet gave them a slight edge in the speed department and made them a little less head strong than a pure terrier so maybe a reverse border cross could be just the ticket

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he's dead ugly, but I'd sooner have an ugly dog that works well and is a joy to live with than the most beautiful animal on the planet that is useless Cricket:  

Not bragging as I didn't breed him, but Cricket has to be one of the best ferreting dogs I've ever had, or seen. Only problem as I see it is if you cross two very dissimilar breeds together you'll get

sometimes a handy dog is just what is needed when bushing and ferreting in woods

Posted Images

question for Skycat what do you think the pros and cons would be in putting cricket over a border bitch to breed reverse 3/4 border 1/4 whippets and what was the original thinking when his breeder put a whippet to his border ?

The only point of going back to Border would be to get a (maybe) finer built Border, which, if you wanted another terrier type for bushing would be fine, just as I've done by putting Cricket over my terrier Midge.

Cricket's breeder was, as far as I know, breeding a bushing dog, which is what he achieved very well.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

is that p ts cricket? it is a little heavy if you looking at it as a lurcher but if you see the dog as a fast bushing dog or fast terrier

it looks sprightly. question...if you had half a dozen crickets and run them as a pack how do you think they would go?

p s ..if that is p t a good terrier over the airedale would produce some nice terrier types of 17 -21 inch, i would take two pups, ...interested?

kev-medlock crew

Why would u want fast bushing dogs you only miss more. And as said before they carnt get in the tight spots. So for years keep a bushing dog for its job. Fella had a spaniel x whippet the other day I had a walk with was perfect just to hover on the out side ;)

Cricket is 17", but can get most places, though he pays the price in shredded tail end and battered ears and round his eyes. Midge, terrier, is still better than he is for pushing rabbits out of maze like runs under deep brambles.

I wouldn't like to run a 'pack of Crickets' :laugh: Whilst he works very well with others, he doesn't 'pack' in the true sense of the word, and because he runs only with bitches he, as the male, is the one that lays claim to a rabbit caught in cover and retrieves it to me. He's very obedient to me, but a dominant character with the other dogs: this works in my situation. His speed through cover helps to balance out the slower Airedale and the small terriers who creep about.

For me, a bushing pack is all about having the right mixture of dogs, with different attributes and temperaments to handle varying situations in the best way. I don't need to sell rabbits, so I don't mind if they are a bit mangled for dog and ferret food, but a rabbit in bits is not good: as long as I have one dominant, compulsive retriever among the dogs I have working together that works well. The Airedale fulfils this role when Cricket is not out with them, but she's too slow and big to get into the really tight brambles fast enough. Good for other things though.

I guess it all depends on what type of cover you work: my mix work well through huge brambles.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

skycat...i also hunt huge bramble beds and i find it interesting that in the world of spaniels

it is an excepted fact that the best dogs for working massive, dense bramble are the big burly 20-22 inch springers. yet in the bushing dog game anything over sixteen inch is considered a bit too big?

pre-ban most foxes are caught by terriers in cover by pushing the fox off its run, if charlie knew

that dogs were closing in from both ends of a run he had to squeeze into the sides, into the tangle

and squeeze and push its way threw.here is where a big strapping terrier can push behind even hard--er and make a catch...important on land were charlie only runs 50 yards and is into more cover.

Keith erlanderson described the old springers as a cross between a spanish fighting bull and a

Zulu warrior. that's my idea of a 17-19 inch terrier, if it cant find a run it will just make one!

kev-medlock crew

• Like 2

if you want to understand why you would want fast bushing dogs check out podencos, the bigger type

are 26-30 inch, hunt like hounds, flush like bushing dogs and run like lurchers. the small ones are terriers...but the middle sized are like heavy built whippets.

andaluz podencos range in size from 15 -22 inch, bat-eared, fast but wouldnt match a whippet, they

pack up, give voice, top work-rate and catch pure rabbits...and retrieve!

they work rocky scree and gorse...whole hillsides of gorse. they are fast enough to keep the rabbit in view is an important point, and that once one marks a rabbit in scrub they wait until more dogs arrive before making a serious attempt to flush it, so when it does flush it as 3-4 quick, springy dogs on its tail...check it out.

kev -medlock crew

• Like 1

When my Airedale was younger (she's now coming up 7) she'd hammer through the thickest brambles and come out dripping with blood from round her eyes, and her ears. Now she's got older and more experienced, she lets the small terriers do the hard work in deep brambles, but it's uncanny how she manages to be the one to actually catch bigger game first: I guess rabbits are less stimulating than bigger game :laugh: She'll still go deep into a bramble to retrieve a rabbit if there are no other retrieving dogs there.

I'd say Cricket, the Whirrier, has to be my best all round in cover, as at 17" and solidly built, he has the power, and more importantly, the drive, to get where he wants to, even if his ears pay the price. Like you said, if he can't find a run he'll make one!

I had one years ago and found her to be neither one thing nor the other.

A bit big and unwilling to tackle tight brambles, which makes up most of the cover round here, and too slow to catch rabbits in the open.

It was my first lurcher and I thought she would cover all bases but unfortunately she covered none.

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder...I've always thought of him as a handsome little chap. Then again, like you, I'm one of those people who feels that if an "ugly" dog is kept and/or bred from then it MUST be because it's such a good worker, so I end up finding ugly dogs attractive...if that makes sense.

I always thought beauty was in the eye of the beer holder lol

skycat..if anyone round here goes to buy a adult bushing dog we always say check its ears, if they are tattered its probably done a season, if they are leathered over you know its seen some cover.

if anyone ever sets about breeding the ultimate bushing dog start with good covered ears like a spaniel...don't Airedales have covered ears or is that just the rougher ones?

back to this post i know whippet crosses as lurchers ,like everyone ive seen plenty out in field and the majority make decent dogs...some are top knotch. but i think they could be even better, id love to see a 5 eighth terrier, 3 eighth whippet for example.

the parents of these pups look a nice blend, nice dog, lovely bitch...id be tempted to keep 3-4 back and run the lot on as a pack.

have a patterdale bitch on now and arranged 6 months ago to use a blue/white whippet over her,shes due on heat...soon come. i will keep the whole litter on to begin with and then keep the 2 or 3 i like best.

not looking at these as lurchers, they'll be brought up as bushing dogs, yap their arses off if they want, more like fast terriers. the patterdale is a nice sort like a tall nuttall, the dog

is fast and game, the bitch is a fanatical hunter, shes doesnt turn off, so im hoping at least two pups have the dams hunting instinct.

i like the coats on the border cross, such as these and cricket, better than smooth of patterdale crossing with the thin whippet coat...but we will see.

kev-medlock crew

skycat..if anyone round here goes to buy a adult bushing dog we always say check its ears, if they are tattered its probably done a season, if they are leathered over you know its seen some cover.

if anyone ever sets about breeding the ultimate bushing dog start with good covered ears like a spaniel...don't Airedales have covered ears or is that just the rougher ones?

back to this post i know whippet crosses as lurchers ,like everyone ive seen plenty out in field and the majority make decent dogs...some are top knotch. but i think they could be even better, id love to see a 5 eighth terrier, 3 eighth whippet for example.

the parents of these pups look a nice blend, nice dog, lovely bitch...id be tempted to keep 3-4 back and run the lot on as a pack.

have a patterdale bitch on now and arranged 6 months ago to use a blue/white whippet over her,shes due on heat...soon come. i will keep the whole litter on to begin with and then keep the 2 or 3 i like best.

not looking at these as lurchers, they'll be brought up as bushing dogs, yap their arses off if they want, more like fast terriers. the patterdale is a nice sort like a tall nuttall, the dog

is fast and game, the bitch is a fanatical hunter, shes doesnt turn off, so im hoping at least two pups have the dams hunting instinct.

i like the coats on the border cross, such as these and cricket, better than smooth of patterdale crossing with the thin whippet coat...but we will see.

kev-medlock crew

any pics of your dogs kev