Whippet X Border Terrier

Kev: the litter I just bred: Cricket to a smooth terrier, only produced three pups. Two have come out like Cricket, though whilst they have decent thick hard coats, I doubt they'll be rough coated as adults (they are 5 months now) but the one that has thrown most to her dam has a bloody Whippet coat, and is a tiny, fine-boned thing, but she's all her mother in her head: an unfortunate combination as far as her body is concerned: feisty as hell, working rabbits through cover already, on her own. But that's the way the cookie crumbles: one things for sure, as she won't be much bigger than a big buck rabbit :tongue2::laugh: she'll be able to follow them into those tiny runs that go right under mounds of dead bramble stems in the middle of a patch: whether she'll have the jaw strength to even stop a rabbit remains to be seen: at the moment she looks like a Chihuahua crossed with a Manchester terrier :icon_eek::laugh:

Regarding ears: Midge's dam had ears that were completely crimped over, bald and covered in scar tissue, by the time she was 5 years old. Midge, probably due to the shape and set of her ears, has suffered less, plus her tactics are more thinking and less blind drive. Midge is the only terrier I've had that can shift a rabbit sat tight in thick bramble by 'frightening' it out: she barks loud at them. I wouldn't even call it baying: it's a weird sound like a cross between a roar and a snarl... funnily enough she was always mute to ground on fox in her younger days and there was only ever one result when she did work fox.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he's dead ugly, but I'd sooner have an ugly dog that works well and is a joy to live with than the most beautiful animal on the planet that is useless Cricket:  

Not bragging as I didn't breed him, but Cricket has to be one of the best ferreting dogs I've ever had, or seen. Only problem as I see it is if you cross two very dissimilar breeds together you'll get

sometimes a handy dog is just what is needed when bushing and ferreting in woods

Posted Images

willow: I can't find the photos I took of Cricket as a pup, but he was smooth until around 8 months of age. His breeder told me that all the pups ended up broken coated: good harsh coats. Generally when breeding a first cross of anything that has a rough coated parent, the pups will be rough or broken: like with Deer/Greys or Beddy/Greys. It's when you breed again to another smooth parent that you get smooth offspring.

Border terrier x whippet pup just over 6 weeks old now, null_zps1480fee4.jpg

do you think it will have coat or gone to the whippet
There all going to be broken coated, some more than others though, even the one I thought would be smooth is turning rough,
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

bonny pups...best time to have them, not had time for howt to go wrong yet !

just seen in this weeks c m w a litter of irish terrier x whippet, to far for me...warwickshire, but i would snap one of them up

skycat- we are back to size again, when i was a lad we were always told that nothing could beat terriers in cover, their size let them get under tight cover better than any other breeds, in spaniels they favour big burly 20 inch dogs for heavy cover.

your tiny, thin coated pup sounds all wrong on paper, particularly for heavy cover, but we have all seen poor coated dogs grafted cover all day. to me the most important quality's in a cover-dog are natural hunting instinct and work-rate and often the two go together. in fact in the best dogs they always go together. if a dog as the will, if its a natural hunter it doesn't matter what size, breed, shape or breeding it is,

i don't decry late starters but i like them keen from the nest, prefer a dog that needs holding back more than coaxing on and though i shouldn't be, i am still impressed with youngsters that are in cover at 5 month, its a good sign.

forgot to ask, does cricket or any dogs mentioned in this post, give tongue ? i dont mind daytime lurchers yapping, on the grounds that they are normally the last to see the quarry. if they have a little sing it gives the dogs coming out of cover the direction the quarry as took which can prolong a hunt.

kev -medlock crew

Just my 2 pence worth, but I don't really see a first cross terrier/whippet as a lurcher. More a handy dog, I had one of a type. Yes failed as a lurcher and a terrier.

But could catch in crops/tussocks/reed beds, had the length of leg to get about obsticles after rats and could still get through most cover.

The sort of dog you take for a wonder with enough speed to pick up tree rats, peg the odd rabbit and push things out.

I must say though after that, I have gone for terrier and whippet seperately.

Edited by Tozer

Just my 2 pence worth, but I don't really see a first cross terrier/whippet as a lurcher. More a handy dog, I had one of a type. Yes failed as a lurcher and a terrier.

But could catch in crops/tussocks/reed beds, had the length of leg to get about obsticles after rats and could still get through most cover.

The sort of dog you take for a wonder with enough speed to pick up tree rats, peg the odd rabbit and push things out.

I must say though after that, I have gone for terrier and whippet seperately.

sometimes a handy dog is just what is needed when bushing and ferreting in woods

• Like 4