There is actually a study that confirms that a dogs digestive system is very similar to a humans and also a mouses.

What people forget is animals evolve to their environment, so where as once dogs may have been like the wolf, a complete meat eater through living with us they have evolved,

Look at the study on that wild fox over the years they were able to breed them to be tamer and to live with humans.

http://m.livescience.com/31997-dogs-and-humans-evolved-together.html

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-animals/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication?ref=hp

I do have the link to a more in depth study, but its on my computer and im not able to get on at the mo, but that study is on line.

I'd be careful with that live science website some of the studies on their are not based on facts sometimes more fiddled statistics, anyone who knows anything about bulldogs will disagree with the following article http://www.livescience.com/27145-are-pit-bulls-dangerous.html ive heard bad thing about the creator of this website its usually biased opinion not at all fact, im not saying the article you put up is but the statitics in this one are actually made up, each to their own though.

at the end of the day dogs have been raised on all types of diets for thousands of years and vary so much and only when their is a real study conducted on lots of different dogs with varying diets will we possibly learn the truth.

ATB

Micky

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good post sandy,,, I always like your posts , always worth reading. I new I was right about them being carnivore,,,thanks for clearing that up...

I could be wrong here lol, but the gut is were wild dogs,wolves, canine 's go for 1st in a kill, look at all the attacks on the prey always that area 1st, then the neck.So they would feed there 1st

Fecks sake sandy,,,that writing is hard to read,,,     Look I get what your saying,,,I did from the very first post,,,,it's almost like a sliding scale,,,with herbivore at one end,,,us in the middl

Posted Images

Good post sandy,,, I always like your posts , always worth reading.

I new I was right about them being carnivore,,,thanks for clearing that up...

Within the context of taxonomy a dog is a carnivore in that it is a member of the order carnivora and carnivore is a populist term for members of this group, so if someone wishes to call their dog, panda or any member of the group, whatever its dietary needs, a carnivore then it would seem pedantic to argue. In truth carnivore is a populist term rather than a classification meaning meat eater/devourer. So yes you were right.

On the other hand if someone wanted to call their dog an omnivore then as an animal with special adaption’s to allow it to eat and flourish on a mixed diet then they have equal validity to do so, omnivore means an animal with exactly these characteristic. The term is not bound within the biological taxonomy of genus as we can see with the multitude of carnivra that utilise this dietary lifestyle. So Riohog is also right.

The result; differing opinions as to how one should class dogs within dietary terms with many vets working in this field classing them as omnivores by diet whilst others still class them by genus as “carnivores”.

In truth there is no right or wrong rather just a difference of approach and the only time this becomes a problem is when people design a diet based on preconceptions of taxonomy rather than biology.

Fecks sake sandy,,,that writing is hard to read,,,

Look I get what your saying,,,I did from the very first post,,,,it's almost like a sliding scale,,,with herbivore at one end,,,us in the middle ,,,and carnivores at the other end,,, and along that scale,,, near the carnivore end is dogs,,,,not total carnivore like a cat,,or polar bear,,,ect ect,,,,but just cos a small portion of there diet is none meat,,,it don't make them an omnivore like us,,,,,even if there diet is as low as 70% meat and it's proberbly more there still carnivores .

Anyway as you say there genus is carnivore,,,,so that's leads me to believe there definitely Carnivor

• Like 2

Having had different breeds of dogs, I have found that some seem to thrive on just meat, others on mainly carbohydrates (dry complete is mainly carbs really), yet others on a mixture of both. Perhaps not all breeds of dogs are equally well-adapted to a diet rich in carbs or to one of meat only? Different dogs have very different metabolic rates which might mean they thrive on different diets? Also a breed with a prevalence of fast-twitch muscle fibres might need a different diet from a dog with mostly slow-twitch muscle fibres?

Feel free to shoot me down if I am talking rubbish!