I have various pigs going off to slaughter this summer, of a few different types, all free range, out door reared pigs who have a cracking life.

Most of the pork is booked, but I have a couple of half pigs still spare, so thought i'd see if anyone was interested.

I kill them out at about 70kg live weight, so after slaughtering you get back about 30 kg for a half pig.

The standard half pig box is fore and back leg joints, chops, belly pork, some sausages etc.

The price is £90 for a half.

Pigs are getting slaughtered June, July (twice) and September this year

I work it out as even if the carcass comes back light for some reason, i.e a half is only 25 kilo, then it's 3.60 a kilo, which is cheaper than most places.

If they come back at 30 kilo as expected, then you are looking at 3 quid a kilo, which is good in anyones book, when you look at the price of free range pork in the shops, or even online as meat boxes.

Put it this way, it's cheaper than most others in the area.

I tend to have largely two sorts, the traditional breeds, which give a fattier carcass and smaller chops, but I personally believe a better (richer) taste and I like the fat on them, also they make a cracking sausage.

But I also do the pie train x, which have an arse like J-lo and kill out much leaner, and with a very good carcass conformation, giving real big chops and joints.

Just depends what you are into really.

I am considering also just doing a load of sausages, and selling them at a kilo price, but i'm undecided if it's worth the extra hassle, and if they can be sold frozen, as running bags of sausages everywhere on slaughter day would be a ball ache.

Sausages are always a winner. So long as the whole pig goes in and no shite other than the necessary.

On average for GOOD sausages it's £2 a lb and they sell all day long.

I'm gluten intolerant, so when I get my sausages done, there is no rusk, just a very very small amount of gluten free bread crumb.

Hence why I choose a more traditional breed such as Saddleback, as the higher fat content helps to bind them.

They only other additions are the off bit of spice or whatever.

That price sounds about right about 4.50 a kilo, something like that.

But the things is, i'd end up with a hundred kilos or so of sausages, which would have to be mostly frozen and sold frozen, rather than fresh (unless I had a long waiting list for slaughter day), and I'm not sure there is a market for frozen rather than fresh produce?

Put your feelers out and get your orders in.

A mate does them and it's very rare he freezes any. If I could I would buy them from him at £100 a throw at the least. But they sell so well I end up with what is offered.

Better than any supermarket "butchers choice!!" Crap.

I am getting the serious hump with this 'distance' thing, everything I want is a,ways miles away !

Lol you should try living in NI. Nothings ever near

should try living in roscommon... arse end of nowhere... and im emptying my freezer atm to make room for decent meat

I don't know how well the meat would travel to this side of the country, but if you could post a live pig I could cut it in half when it gets here :p

No chance mate, its gotta come right past mine on the way !