Concrete Slab ....?

I have an 8' x 4', steel aviary here. I want to bolt it to a concrete slab, simply to stop anything digging under and into it.

Only thing is, my ground slopes somewhat. And, it's effectively a council laid road surface too. So, f**k trying to dig a patch of it out for any reason! :icon_eek:

Just looking for confirmation really then; I take it it'll be fine to simply shutter in and pour a uniformly thick slab, just following the gradient?

I mean; F**king birds won't care, will they? Hardly going to roll down it.

That about right ....?

Thanks.

A slope will be easier to wash down and it will get shite all over it,but likes been said the aviary itself will be wonky but the birds won't care i'm sure.

when we did a mates kennels we dragged a drain pipe through the wet cement to make a channel for all the shit and water........could probably do the same here???

• Like 2

I had this aviary in much the same spot before. It was active. It never once struck me it was pissed. Probably because the entire landscape beyond it was just as pissed? I'm pretty nearly permanently pissed myself. So I meld with my surroundings :yes:

Drainage? Fair do's. I should think I can cover that. Ye know these concrete gulleys they do, these days? Topped by a grill? I'd go for the metal grilled one. Rats would come through the plastic like lasers.

Yes. Horribly expensive shit. But, f**k me; Four foot of it? If it costs me €50.00 So what? I won't have shit and disease building up against the bottom end of my flight.

And I won't be for ever praying I get any passing rat, before it gets in to my birds. Seen what a rat can do in an aviary, overnight. Glad to say, I had the c**nt the next morning. Even more glad to say; It wasn't my f**king aviary!

Right. Experts now ..... 8' x 4' x 4" slab. Allowing a, what, 4" extra border. To give the fixings something to hold into. 8' 8" x 4' 8"? 4" deep.

How much 'crete mix and how many bags of cement? What mix, please?

F**king useless, aren't I?! F**k sake. I'm Outlaw Pete. Not Bob the f**king Builder! :D

• Like 1

I had this aviary in much the same spot before. It was active. It never once struck me it was pissed. Probably because the entire landscape beyond it was just as pissed? I'm pretty nearly permanently pissed myself. So I meld with my surroundings :yes:

Drainage? Fair do's. I should think I can cover that. Ye know these concrete gulleys they do, these days? Topped by a grill? I'd go for the metal grilled one. Rats would come through the plastic like lasers.

Yes. Horribly expensive shit. But, f**k me; Four foot of it? If it costs me €50.00 So what? I won't have shit and disease building up against the bottom end of my flight.

And I won't be for ever praying I get any passing rat, before it gets in to my birds. Seen what a rat can do in an aviary, overnight. Glad to say, I had the c**nt the next morning. Even more glad to say; It wasn't my f**king aviary!

Right. Experts now ..... 8' x 4' x 4" slab. Allowing a, what, 4" extra border. To give the fixings something to hold into. 8' 8" x 4' 8"? 4" deep.

How much 'crete mix and how many bags of cement? What mix, please?

F**king useless, aren't I?! F**k sake. I'm Outlaw Pete. Not Bob the f**king Builder! :D

A bulk bag of ballast and 8 bags of dust should do it, if it looks a bit tight, start chucking bricks in! Only a slab :thumbs:

IMG_3931_zpse0ace263.jpg

This is 8x4 and roughly 4 inches thick and because of the access I had to use the small bags of ballast, it took about 40 I think...

IMG_3938_zps951d612a.jpg

Get an edging tool as well and run it round the edge when its half cured..

IMG_3969_zps36c1680a.jpg

Must say; That Does look smart! And, yeah; We have a hell of a lot of natural stone, round here. It's like a given that we chuck a load of them into any concrete. They not only bulk shit up. But, harden it too. I'd sooner anchor into a stone than just 'crete.

Have to get that aviary back over here .....