1/4 Bull X's Or 1/4 Bull Lurchers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 1/4 bull colli grey

Sire and dam to my dog.. The sire is a dog from Manchester way called Mick, I think he sired astras litter of pups on here few months back (saluki bull greys)?? He's a half cross 25" put to a saluk

My bull x approx 1/4 bull in his make up, he will be 2 in July so a 1st proper season for him.   I personally rate the 1/4 bull x's, fast, agile and have plenty of drive, strength and determination.

Posted Images

Bruno.jpg

Bruno2.jpg

BRUNO

A 3/4 my old man ran in the early 80s, out of ray walkers buck which was out of CH general

nice dog mate once let ray a brindle greyhound called lassie to put buck to don't known who had the pups atb
they took the greyhound up themselves samba so wasn't that litter. Me fathers lamping partner had the bitch
  • Like 1

I know what your saying robyo they can throw all different ways but generally you would hope with crossing a greyhound to say a 1/2 cross bull grey you will get a 'racier' type of animal rather than say crossing a half cross to a half cross etc...

Agreed mate but ,if I doubt I would use a pure greyhound,over a 1/2 cross I'd probably use a lurcher,too much to lose,only speed to gain,

But I see what you are saying

What I mean is don't think too much about the% genetics don't work like that,just because it's a 1/4 don't mean it will be racist or less or more game or faster,don't work like that unfortunately

true that, having had straight 1/4 bull and 3/8 bull's back to greys, I think the3/8 bull prob the the better of the 2 , for wind and guts. Not saying 1/4 are no good, as they are, but ever time you dilute the bull to any running dog you going to loose wind+guts , you carnt help it it just genes will work like that. That's why some lads go back to a lurcher salxs etc to try keep stamina , if you want a faster type bullx. But I have seen some fast 1x bullx greys,and 2nd gen 1xs bullxs that were very good , don't know if the stamina would be much better as it only back to a greyhound anyway. But if you want to keep the guts of the bull deff a 1x is the way to go, being 4/8s it got to kick in some were in there. :yes:
I've seen plenty of half crosses lacking guts. And plenty of dogs with only a 1/4 bull have loads more "guts"

I think what else is in there will have a bearing. As the lad isn't just talking 3/4 grey 1/4 bull. He's talking about lurchers with 1/4 bull. And as you know you can get some very gutsy dogs without using bull.

That more or less what I was saying by not thinking about the % and genetics not working like that,

true it comes down to each dog, even in the same litter not all are going to make what you wanted in the 1st place. And your right gaz plenty of others out there with no bull in there make up with plenty of guts, got 1 now very full on young dog . But was trying to say lol if you going to use bull in your lurcher , the more you dilute it down same with any breed , your going away from what you wanted in the 1st place if that makes sence well it does to me .lol

If you want more wind and none stop action all night..get more bull not more greyhound.. Pit dogs can achieve unbelievable fitness if training is done right..You have to have the type of dog that loves work and will take it to get fit..really fit. You wont achieve the same levels with more Greyhound and you get a lot more injuries.

• Like 1

for what its worth iv ran 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 x's and lurcher types crossed with bull greyhounds, id rather take my chances with a 1/4 bull greyhound bred to a decent coursing dog, or collie lurcher. iv noticed a lot of lads seem to prefer the 1/2 x's, i dont rate them myself they just lack pace and there running style is generally full speed straigh lining then when bends and jinks start coming into a course they start falling back a bit, also lads seem to think when you start breeding away from a half x to less bull they lose gameness and guts which i think is bollox to be honest, greyhounds are as game as any bull breed and will take theyre chances with pretty much anything you slip them on. i do agree that there is a lot of pet bulls been used in breeding now but how many lads use pure bulls these days? theres plenty of well tested bull lurchers up and down the country to not have to go back to a full bull.

just my opinion its not a fact, right or wrong just my opinion :thumbs::victory:

• Like 5

for what its worth iv ran 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 x's and lurcher types crossed with bull greyhounds, id rather take my chances with a 1/4 bull greyhound bred to a decent coursing dog, or collie lurcher. iv noticed a lot of lads seem to prefer the 1/2 x's, i dont rate them myself they just lack pace and there running style is generally full speed straigh lining then when bends and jinks start coming into a course they start falling back a bit, also lads seem to think when you start breeding away from a half x to less bull they lose gameness and guts which i think is bollox to be honest, greyhounds are as game as any bull breed and will take theyre chances with pretty much anything you slip them on. i do agree that there is a lot of pet bulls been used in breeding now but how many lads use pure bulls these days? theres plenty of well tested bull lurchers up and down the country to not have to go back to a full bull.

just my opinion its not a fact, right or wrong just my opinion :thumbs::victory:

Greyhounds can never be as game has a pit bull thats obvious but I agree they are game enough for most of the time. They are great dogs,but they are getting weaker as far as soundness goes and they are nowhere near has intelligent has a pitbull that is one of the cleverist breeds there is.

Don't confuse wind with drive in the bullx's. Fitness is a must in bullx's if you want em to go all night. Most go just on drive alone. Most think just because a pitbull can do it's job well that a x breed will do the same. Wrong. A pure bull in scratch condition is took to the peak of fitness and he's got there by men who are maticulous in what they do. If it's natural wind you want..x to a coursing/saluki blooded hound. That'll increase the bullx's chances of being able to stay that bit longer.

• Like 4

Good post stabba,and one of the reasons that make some people dismiss

Bull crosses ,as sometimes their heart out performs their fitness

Edited by roybo

A half cross Bull/Grey of the right breeding can run and run. If its trained using running as the main aid. I only talk from experience of all types. I do know that Bull crosses can die from there own drive,and fitness needs to match the drive. That kind of fitness cannot be achieved by walking and/or short gallops.. The heart is the main muscle. Read velvet and steel by Bob Stevens, very interesting and very appropriate for a Bullx lurcher that has plenty of Bull in his blood.

• Like 1