Interesting Basc Conversation - Please Read

Wow, now this caught me unexpectedly.

I got a call today from BASC answering a couple of my typical 'awkward questions'.

My 2 questions were:

1. Are you allowed to use bait to hunt (upon the remit of vermin control) Wood Pigeons?

2. Are you allowed to hunt ducks with an air rifle?

I can truly say the answers were very helpful. So, to break down a 30minute conversation with a very helpful and tolerant individual, the answers are as follows...

1. Providing you are not luring the creature into an area to shoot them, and providing all the other remits of the General License are met, e.g. other options not working or impractical, etc, and providing you can justify, to yourself that it is a valid method/option, then you are able to use bait for any bird on the GL. HOWEVER, if you are using the bait to control wood pigeons, and you have a couple of crows land that are not going to be damaging the crops you're helping with, then you would not be in the bounds of the GL to shoot them. If in doubt, double check with the land owner/manager/etc what creatures are in question for control.

2. It is illegal to use lead shot when hunting ducks. HOWEVER, the rules specify lead SHOT, not bullets of pellets. The main thing with ducks, along with the actual season with which they are available, is 'respect for the quarry'. Although not considered 'good form' to hunt ducks with an air rifle, if you do shoot the duck and before you shoot you know you probably are unable to provide a clean kill...then you're a total [insert expletive of your choice]. If you injure a duck with a shot, but do not kill it cleanly, the odds of you getting a second shot are pretty low (ducks can just fly away), so you need to respect your quarry and know you are able to provide a clean humane kill. The BASC guidelines on air rifle use do provide good guidance with things that are available options.

As a result from the conversation I've had; I will be using some bait to help control the crows killing chickens at my friend's farm, and I will not be taking out any ducks until I have my .22lr all sorted and zeroed.

• Like 4

even though I am a member of basc this is where I find them a bit two faced, on one hand they say `its legal as long as its a clean kill` and the main form of shooting they promote (or represent) is canned pheasant potting, can the shooters who take part in this claim in any way that every shot they take results in a clean kill, I bloody doubt it, if you are sure of a quick clean kill with the gear you use and its legal to take it then crack on

• Like 2

if you are sure of a quick clean kill with the gear you use and its legal to take it then crack on

That's pretty much what they said, obviously providing the other criteria for the General License are fulfilled, e.g. not practical to use another method, all other methods/options for control have been exhausted, etc.

Im confidedent that a .177 or .22 pellet will kill a duck if you hit it in the brain out to about 40 yards very sufficiently. From a muzzle velocity of 11 ftlbs. And i have shot a few ducks myself and they all just died on impact. Shot placement is the key hit them in the brain and there straight dead

• Like 1

If your on with your fac, why not get a shottie for pigeons, crow and ducks? It will improve your success no end mate ;)

Providing you don't use lead shot for the ducks.

But I am getting my certs finished off.