Gm Trials Given Go-Ahead

Serious subject from me this time..............................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27060789

Previous trials of GM crops have been disrupted, destroyed and dug up. But in a world with an increasing population, a finite amount of agricultural land and a diminishing water supply, can resistance to GM be justified any longer?

Is it such a bad thing to able to modify wheat, so that the crop produces it's own nitrogen supply (like peas and beans do), rather than be reliant on nitrogen fertilizers? Or to modify, say, corn and tomatoes to become more drought-resistant or better able to tolerate colder temperatures? Surely it's a good thing to improve any food crop's pest resistance ?

In 2012, world-wide,17.3 million farmers, mostly poor and small-scale, grew 420 million acres of GMO's. Yet, currently, none are grown commercially here or anywhere else in Europe. The US, Canada, China, Argentina and Brazil all grow large crops of GMO's, to feed their large and ever-increasing populations.

So,should the Government 'grasp the nettle' and allow more production of GM crops in Britain ?

Edited by Blackbriar

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not racist in any way but I know loads of white SA, Zimbabwean and Kenya's. Everyone will tell you the ground got took of them and white farmers marched of and sometimes killed by black African r

Crack on I say, albeit sensibly of course. We are constantly trying to develop new technologies to combat natures mechanisms to restrict us. To me it's no more unnatural than using machinery to change

No just them African's we are a isle the population is growing they cant make any more land and what there is will be built on so apart from the rich that can afford to feed there family's organic foo

Posted Images

No just them African's we are a isle the population is growing they cant make any more land and what there is will be built on so apart from the rich that can afford to feed there family's organic food whats the rest of the population to do in twenty ,thirty years down the line

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of "Monsanto"........google them and find out how they treat farmers in the USA

Sinister as f**k ;)

I don't need to Google Monsanto, but their influence is a separate issue to the core problem - 'How are we going to feed everyone?'. And I mean 'everyone' here.......................

We already import around 40% of our food, and since some of the largest producers in the world already grow (and sell) GMO's, is it even possible for us to resist their import indefinitely ? Our reliance on imports makes our continued food security very tenuous. Surely it makes sense to ensure that you can feed your own population, or at least maximise your potential ?

As The One has pointed out, we can't produce more land, so the question is how to make the most of what we have at our disposal.

I know there are concerns around this - some justified, some not - but we won't find a solution by hiding our head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away.

gotta feed dem africans

I never mentioned feeding anyone except ourselves.

Because a technology is being developed and used largely in poorer countries, does that mean we shouldn't try to see if there are any benefits and potential for us ?

Iv said it before and it's common sense

2 child policy per couple

Once a man has two children to his name get gelded

Once a woman has two children coil fitted ect

Better still sterilised

No class get outs

Same for everyone no matter how rich or famous you are

But folk would rather the planet was raped and folk starved.

Idiots can't see the bigger picture.

I would tend to agree Max. I think some form of population control (world-wide) will have to be implemented. God knows how, but......................

The short answer is that we ain't meant to feed everybody !!

I'd refer you to my reply to Tandors, Wilf.

I'm not suggesting that we try to feed everyone - I'm concerned that we're not even close to feeding ourselves !

Edited by Blackbriar

This country has not had food security for about a 100 years so its nothing new, the human race didn't die out before GM an the likes of Monsanto and its a fair bet that it wouldn't die out if those things did not exist