West Country

This is a fabulous place in the South West, good memories from last summer when I was down; some of the guys from work talk about some of the local shoots lots, Very high pheasants and partridge; I really need to get out to more shoots next season.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from 2 days hunting in the west country. its a different world down there for a northan lad! Anyone who hunts needs to stop at least once in the white horse in exford, the whole village

We will sort something bout gte. Also have to travel up sometime next year for a day with the CV. Hope all is well bud

Some of the best days hunting I've had were in the west,if you plan it right,early cubbing ,then with beagles,out with the staghounds,then evenings meets cubbing,then back to the exmoor forest hotel for a pint,I'm not sure if it's even still open,not sure what it would like now, but preban it were execellent.

Was working in Simonsbath last week, and didn't look to see if the Forest was still open. Haven't been in there for 20 years +, but it was always OK back in the day.

If you're in Exford, try and wangle an invite into the club :yes: You'll need a member to sign you in, but it's pretty much grockle free, and was always the best watering hole in Exford.

Dido, drop me a PM when you are next coming down. It would be nice to meet up with you and have a beer. Was working right outside the Sportsmans a few days ago...

Was working in Simonsbath last week, and didn't look to see if the Forest was still open. Haven't been in there for 20 years +, but it was always OK back in the day.

If you're in Exford, try and wangle an invite into the club :yes: You'll need a member to sign you in, but it's pretty much grockle free, and was always the best watering hole in Exford.

Dido, drop me a PM when you are next coming down. It would be nice to meet up with you and have a beer. Was working right outside the Sportsmans a few days ago...

:icon_redface: i was a grockle in that club :laugh: goodness i have more them a few hangovers from there, then gone lamping :icon_eek: . I dont think the Sportsman grub was ever the same since Della left . Some folk had that tame stag at Simonsbath right? caused a right load of trouble when he came of age.....

I knew about the tame Stag in North Molton, but the Simonsbath one?

I've not really spent much time in Exford in recent years. It's a dangerous place for a married man who like a beer to hang out.....

The Sportsmans has a better reputation now than it did years ago. The landlord was MFH for the DWFH until a year or two ago.

I mainly work on the Southwestern part of Exmoor, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else in the country. Never a dull moment, I can be setting traps and bump into hounds at least once a week.

I knew about the tame Stag in North Molton, but the Simonsbath one?

I've not really spent much time in Exford in recent years. It's a dangerous place for a married man who like a beer to hang out.....

The Sportsmans has a better reputation now than it did years ago. The landlord was MFH for the DWFH until a year or two ago.

I mainly work on the Southwestern part of Exmoor, and to be honest, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else in the country. Never a dull moment, I can be setting traps and bump into hounds at least once a week.

Yes in Molton it was Charlie ( i think ) in Simonsbath ~ it was Phillip ( i have old photos but no scanner ) to say the least a loose cannon come the rut , anyways he turned on the public so he had to go..... that was many years ago. Your prolly to Young :p , The Macr** family had the Sportsmans when i was last there in 2004 so i guess they have left then? as for Exford happy hunting days there, i cant comment on the whiles of a Young man, damn good Port and lamping up the moor out the back of a Sub was one of the best times and laffed till i ..... nm LOL ... thanks for the trip down memory lane. Happy Trapping

Too young? LOL, I wish....

I thought M still had the Sportsmans?

The old boy at North Molton had a fine set on him; folks used to stop off just to see him.

I was at Exford when the A family still ruled with a rod of iron. Geena and Janet behind the bar in the Club, and Mr H was still the new face at the White Horse. The Crown was owned by Mr M, and was my favourite pub by far.

I'm back there next week; will drop in and see if the Forest is still how I remember it and report back.

If anyone is Exmoor bound this year drop me a PM. It's always nice to put faces to names.

Too young? LOL, I wish....

I thought M still had the Sportsmans?

The old boy at North Molton had a fine set on him; folks used to stop off just to see him.

I was at Exford when the A family still ruled with a rod of iron. Geena and Janet behind the bar in the Club, and Mr H was still the new face at the White Horse. The Crown was owned by Mr M, and was my favourite pub by far.

I'm back there next week; will drop in and see if the Forest is still how I remember it and report back.

If anyone is Exmoor bound this year drop me a PM. It's always nice to put faces to names.

i will have to look on their website, as i said its been along time since i was there........ maybe i got lost in the Twitchen triangle LOL!! my last visit was on the Levels.....but thats another story

dont ask me to recall who was who in the club, was wayy to drunk too many times, especially if i had a drink in the White Horse.. one of those... not on show drinks.... duh!! Happen there was a characature (sp?) of our old MFH in the Crown too. ironic likeness A L Burton Hunt ...

The Twitchen Triangle, LMAO :lol:

I was there up to a few weeks ago, took over 200 moles off the triangle!

Was there picking up traps a couple of weeks ago with my young apprentice.. as we worked away, suddenly 50 or so four-by-fours suddenly appeared and we found ourselves hunting with the D&S. They killed in the reservoir right in front of us.

Wherever you go on Exmoor, you are never far away from hunting of one sort or another. It's one of the things that makes the place tick.

I've seen it change over the years; the staghounds are not as popular with landowners as they used to be and there seems to be much more shooting these days. I'm sounding like a grumpy old man again :huh:

I dropped into the Crown last winter for the first time in 20+ years...... not really changed much; a few fellas sporting hangovers from the night before, and the same hunting atmosphere..... :yes:

haha i knew that would tickle ya fancy :laugh: i met an old chap and his Lady wife Molly who lived not far from there, he would drive to Sandyway and back (tanked up) every nite, used to train point to point ers, Grand couple ~ happy days

grumpy? scrumpy? :laugh: and can i locate You in Mole Valley? :D or You ~ aint that * wadda want better then that fella are ya? * :blink:

Your one lucky fella,!!! Here is to me HOPING to win the lottery and moving South West.........

ps why aint the farmers happy with the DSSH? :hmm: maybe You can inbox me that

I stayed with friends at the tsh kennels for a few months while I were looking for work down there,hunted with them now and then I loved goin with the d&s a lot of my friends lived over there,can't remember the landlord at exford,I used to have a day with Lennox a proper exmoor man,my car broke down on dunnkery in the rain,I had my dogs with me,I was walking back when a White Subaru stopped,it was capt r Wallace,he had go at me for having two running dogs and a terrier on the moor,strange fella, that evening in the forest he turned up,and asked me what I was about,I can't remember what I said but a few choice words anyhow,for some reason hunting folk down the seemed to be afraid of him,I had some good days down there, but never bothered goin with the exmoor,