Breaking Dog To Ferrerts

Got a 8 week lurcher pup . . Have been putting the ferrets down on the garden for pup to sniff and interact from the day i got her but shes starting to get a bit boistress with them now jumpin about pawing them and trying to nip them . . I think she just wants to play but how do i stop this behavour?

Crouch down, holding the ferret. Let the pup come and sniff it: if she prods it with her nose, tries to nip, tell her 'NO' in a harsh voice. then as already suggested, put a drop of milk in a saucer on the ground, put ferret on ground, and HOLD pup so she can only just reach the saucer, keep hold of her while they share the milk. If she's showing signs of wanting to play with the ferret you say 'NO'. You don't want her to think of the ferret as a play mate, so you need to teach her this. It can take time. Don't expect her to understand straight off that the ferret isn't a furry toy. Be strict. Don't be afraid to tell her off, but also, don't put her in the position where she can be tempted to play with it: in other words, don't just stand there and let her interact with the ferret at this stage, because she is still seeing it as a play thing. Just do a few minutes every day, be hands on, don't turn your back for a second. Praise her when she just sniffs the ferret. Say NO loudly if she tries to paw or nip it. If she won't listen, then work harder on getting her to listen to you. She'll make mistakes, she's only a pup, but she needs to learn the difference between what is allowed and not, and only you can teach her that.

The longer she spends with the ferret the better she'll get, but only under very strict supervision. Try distracting her with a titbit while the ferret is loose on the ground. Hand feed her while the ferret ambles about. The moment she turns to the ferret, say NO or Ah! sharply, then praise her when she turns back to you.

• Like 4

Crouch down, holding the ferret. Let the pup come and sniff it: if she prods it with her nose, tries to nip, tell her 'NO' in a harsh voice. then as already suggested, put a drop of milk in a saucer on the ground, put ferret on ground, and HOLD pup so she can only just reach the saucer, keep hold of her while they share the milk. If she's showing signs of wanting to play with the ferret you say 'NO'. You don't want her to think of the ferret as a play mate, so you need to teach her this. It can take time. Don't expect her to understand straight off that the ferret isn't a furry toy. Be strict. Don't be afraid to tell her off, but also, don't put her in the position where she can be tempted to play with it: in other words, don't just stand there and let her interact with the ferret at this stage, because she is still seeing it as a play thing. Just do a few minutes every day, be hands on, don't turn your back for a second. Praise her when she just sniffs the ferret. Say NO loudly if she tries to paw or nip it. If she won't listen, then work harder on getting her to listen to you. She'll make mistakes, she's only a pup, but she needs to learn the difference between what is allowed and not, and only you can teach her that.

The longer she spends with the ferret the better she'll get, but only under very strict supervision. Try distracting her with a titbit while the ferret is loose on the ground. Hand feed her while the ferret ambles about. The moment she turns to the ferret, say NO or Ah! sharply, then praise her when she turns back to you.

Thanks alot skycat

When I was a kid I remember an older lad getting a 6 week old puppy and for some strange reason he decided to bed it down with his ferret, the ferret killed and ate the pup. For another strange reason that story popped into my head reading this topic.

Good luck with your dog and ferret.

Edited by SirRichardCecil

I don't let my mutts and ferrets be mates, the mutts know not to touch a ferret, and stay away from them, the few dogs I have seen nail ferrets over the years where all dogs that were mates with ferrets, then a strange ferret nipped dog and dog reacted. My dogs have no need to come into contact with ferrets, I don't let them roam yard together, nor do I let my mutt stand wit it's head down holes. A healthy respect for each other is enough, and once a dog figures out a ferret in a hole means a bunny comes out, they soon realise ferrets ain't on the menu, just way iv always done things

• Like 3

Got a 8 week lurcher pup . . Have been putting the ferrets down on the garden for pup to sniff and interact from the day i got her but shes starting to get a bit boistress with them now jumpin about pawing them and trying to nip them . . I think she just wants to play but how do i stop this behavour?

If the ferret is an adult,..and knows dogs,..I let them play,..have mock fights and generally wrestle around together...

My aim is to create a working partnership and whilst it is obviously a 100% no no for a rabbiting lurcher and terrier, to grip a ferret,.by the same token,..I would NEVER expect a made ferret, to ever bite the dog...

There is no reason for it to do so..

Just my take on it,...not that I actually keep any ferrets myself... :thumbs:

• Like 3

If the ferret is an adult,..and knows dogs,..I let them play,..have mock fights and generally wrestle around together...

My aim is to create a working partnership and whilst it is obviously a 100% no no for a rabbiting lurcher and terrier, to grip a ferret,.by the same token,..I would NEVER expect a made ferret, to ever bite the dog...

There is no reason for it to do so..

Just my take on it,...not that I actually keep any ferrets myself... :thumbs:

A man who knows what he is talking about!

Been there, seen it, done it!

Hey Donmorris, sounds like you have your dog broke already, the signs of your pup wanting to play is a good thing, he may soft mouth them but I have seen dogs and ferrets enjoy a good bit of boisterous fun and it can be hilarious to watch if the ferrets and pup know their place and have a game of chasing.

Let the pup be a pup, him playing with the ferrets means he sees them as fun not as food. But just keep a watchful eye that he doesn't over-step the mark or that kill trigger isn't engaged where he would shake it like a rag.

Other than that don't ever listen to anyone who assures you that their dog is broken to ferrets until you have worked that persons ferrets with that persons dogs. You can turn the best ferret in the world into one that sulks with just one bad encounter at the mouth of a hole.

personally i think that a pup playing with ferrets is agood thing. an 8 week pup wont have any drive to hunt or kill the ferrets yet, and if it is a bit over rough any self respecting ferret will give it a nip, and this isnt a bad thing either ( a nip, not a full-bloded ferret bite!) i have always let my dogs and ferrets become best mates, and never had a problem at work. i actually think its a bonus, and a dog which will grab a rabbit in a burrow mouth with ferret latched to its arse, or even carry a rabbit to me with ferret still hanging off it is better than the dog scared of the ferret and being a bit wary of geting involved. the problem has been when i have a dog completely trusting of ferrets and i go out with somebody elses ferrets which bite my dog, i simply dont go with that person again.

• Like 2