Ferrets Wont Work!

Hi all readers.

Ive had my ferrets for a few weeks now, they had never been worked before as the previous owner kept them as pets. ive had them out a couple of times, slip them down the hole but they only go down about 1foot then back out. i keep on trying but nothing. i do how ever have one keen albino jill that goes down a good couple of foot then crawls back out. i know that the warrens are used because of fresh droppings and ive seen rabbits go down before hand. can anyone give me some advice/tips? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Adrian

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ferrets won't work? Have you tried turning it on and off again?

Dont agree with that ive been ferreting 45 years sometimes I feed before i go out, but sometimes i don't, and it makes no difference work wise, they will kill fed or not, and they come out, I feed usu

Don't know how good your ferrets are but the warrens could be polished with shit everywhere doesn't mean there's rabbits there.

i am new to ferreting but all i have read is give them a chance and let their own curiosity do the work

i have 2 jills they haven't been worked but i will go out there not expecting them to know what to do but i am sure when they get the hang of it they will be happy working (i hope)

patience is the key on your part more than the ferrets

don't stuff them down the hole or they may get a fear i have drain pipes in the garden and when i let them out the run straight in and play with each other as ferrets do (they was shy at first but as it was a game they got over that)

just think how frightening it would be for you to be shoved down a dark hole not being able to see (just let them play)

Edited by niatron
  • Like 1

Theres worker's and theres workers mate . Thats why i wouldnt take on anybody elses stuff i always figure there getting rid of for a reason . get rid of as said start get a new pair of kits off somebody who works them there a good few guys up in Aberdeen who do and ask them to start your kits with there older ferrets .

Just because there dropping out side holes that means nothing only the fact you saw rabbits dropping in count but they might have vacated by the time you got there ? a marking dog solves all

• Like 2

I posted on here not long ago about a hob which took 12-18 months to get going.

He was from unknown stock, possibly from non-working stuff. However he is now a fantastic worker, grafts all day and finds rabbits anywhere and if they don't bolt then they are killed in seconds.

However to spend best part of 2 seasons bringing a ferret on isn't for everyone and I wouldn't do it again. Especially considering that I probably got lucky and some will never work to a high standard.

I bred a litter last year out of 2 cracking workers, born in May, and the Jill's were bolting rabbits before Christmas. And I've heard of a few lads who have the ferrets working to some standard by 6-8 months.

If I was you I would rehome them to a pet home and buy in some kits in the next few months from good stock.

I always feed plenty of game aswell. Rabbit, Hare, Pheasant etc. Not sure if it actually makes any difference but I think it does.

Good luck and all the best.

If your not going to get rid, take them out, and walk till you see a Rabbit going down a bury, try and find one thats not too deep or big.

A two or three holed bury would be fine.

Then you will know for definite if they are working, pity you are so far from me.

• Like 1

I posted on here not long ago about a hob which took 12-18 months to get going.

He was from unknown stock, possibly from non-working stuff. However he is now a fantastic worker, grafts all day and finds rabbits anywhere and if they don't bolt then they are killed in seconds.

However to spend best part of 2 seasons bringing a ferret on isn't for everyone and I wouldn't do it again. Especially considering that I probably got lucky and some will never work to a high standard.

I bred a litter last year out of 2 cracking workers, born in May, and the Jill's were bolting rabbits before Christmas. And I've heard of a few lads who have the ferrets working to some standard by 6-8 months.

If I was you I would rehome them to a pet home and buy in some kits in the next few months from good stock.

I always feed plenty of game aswell. Rabbit, Hare, Pheasant etc. Not sure if it actually makes any difference but I think it does.

Good luck and all the best.

How did that hob you found turn out mate?