Just About Ready For The Breeding Season

I've been busy today catching all the mules and bird's in the aviary that i don't intend to breed...i have also put a load of fresh cover in there ready for the natural nest building as none of them used the nest pan's i put in last year..my plan is to have a trio and 2 pair's of goldies and one pair of greenies.. a Lutino cock paired to a Isobel hen..

All i need now is a hand from a mate to sex these Goldies properly as they are all very similar and that will be me sorted for the fun and games ahead.. :D

Aviary10_3_2014001_zps2489aa92.jpg

Aviary10_3_2014003_zpsb8f45030.jpg

• Like 5

I've been busy today catching all the mules and bird's in the aviary that i don't intend to breed...i have also put a load of fresh cover in there ready for the natural nest building as none of them used the nest pan's i put in last year..my plan is to have a trio and 2 pair's of goldies and one pair of greenies.. a Lutino cock paired to a Isobel hen..

All i need now is a hand from a mate to sex these Goldies properly as they are all very similar and that will be me sorted for the fun and games ahead.. :D

Aviary10_3_2014001_zps2489aa92.jpg

nice layout :thumbs: millet like conifers in pots good luck for the coming season :thumbs:

• Like 1

millet you struggling sexing them mate should be easy enough this time of year mate,i find opening the wing on the goldies and where the wing meets the body if its brown feathering it a hen if its black its a cock mate seen lads do it by the red on the head but bred many a hen with red past the eye

• Like 2

millet you struggling sexing them mate should be easy enough this time of year mate,i find opening the wing on the goldies and where the wing meets the body if its brown feathering it a hen if its black its a cock mate seen lads do it by the red on the head but bred many a hen with red past the eye

That's where i have come unstuck Mate.. i have two here that have a bright red blaze that passes the eye quite a bit and black bristles at the base of the beak..but they have brown wing butt's.. :blink:

Millet, put those potted conifers on a couple of breeze blocks to raise them up a foot or two. They might nest in them then. :thumbs:

A Redpoll and a Muling canary nested in them last year.. :thumbs:

That's where i have come unstuck Mate.. i have two here that have a bright red blaze that passes the eye quite a bit and black bristles at the base of the beak..but they have brown wing butt's.. :blink:

defo hens if brown on wing butt pal cocks no chance this time of year being even a little bit brown

• Like 1

Sorted.. i had a good experienced mate come around yesterday and he had to take his time as the hen's where almost the same as a average cock bird..but the good cock bird's stood out a mile which made the hen's look like poor cock bird's if you know what i mean.. :D .. anyway i have ended up with 2 cock's and 4 well marked hen's.. :boogy: