Goverment Taking The Piss Again

It gets worse than that, they want to allow the addling of mallard eggs on the open GL. (obviously they have been granting too many special licences for this) remember the Mallard is a declining national and international species, now we know the reason if council workers have been protecting the townie hoard from getting duck poop on their nice clean pink Nike trainers when out jogging! Greylag also are a proposal to add the the GL. Meanwhile Wildfowling clubs have just spent the last 50 years trying to re-establish a UK breeding stock, Geese live a long time and have to be fully mature before raising their own young and are very vunerable to shooting during the molt or when nesting or even over shooting in season. Allowing all and sundry to have a go during the off season could be a disaster (this UK stock was previously reduced to almost nil in the days of the early muzzle loader)

I do tend to agree that the GL has been abused for sport by some, Woodpigeon roosting and nesting thirty miles from a crop are hard to justify. Though is trailing non lythal means and trapping effective? If you release a crow into another area the resident crows will kill it and even if you could kill after capture will one catch in a Larsen prove it works and stop shooting on that ground? This sort of thing only shows their lack of hands on knowledge and we all know what crazy legislation has been forced onto us in the past through this!

What this shows is a real need to stand shoulder to shoulder, trust me some in English nature are very much lacking in real knowledge. I came across one senior person who was new to the job from Uni and was totally unaware that migratory wildfowl were being shot in season around the UK within the law and had been for hundreds of years, while in other areas the clubs are their biggest asset in conservation work and "box ticking".

Stand up and fight these three issues non lythal control 1. Actual trials of non lythal 2. ruining mallard eggs (on the reasons stated they are in decline) 3. out of season greylags (local special GL has previously been granted on the Egyptian goose in the past so and also on the greylag in the Scottish islands)

Go to the NE website and place your thoughts just put no-comment or similar on the stuff that doesn't effect us but please comment on these 3 issues

Who on earth has told you mallards are in decline. There's never been so many, and that goes for Greylag's too.

The fact is that Mallards do need to be put on GL, they are everywhere and do not do the ecosystem any favours at all.

Common knowledge internationally and nationally from bird counts, all wildfowl are monitored and we have international commitments to do so every year.

Greylag are locally abundant in a few areas, much work is being done to build numbers in others. Local GL has been done with other geese in the past as has been the case with special licence

Give me some facts to your claims on the mallard now please, currently I am pursuing the NE data under freedom of information as to the special licences that have been granted. I should therefore value any actual facts on the counter claim argument beyond say so

Here ya go buddy..... To be honest, I didn't need to research to answer on the population, I notice what changes have occured over the last 30 odd years.

post-16-0-52809300-1393797624.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who on earth has told you mallards are in decline. There's never been so many, and that goes for Greylag's too. The fact is that Mallards do need to be put on GL, they are everywhere and do not do th

interesting that mallard are amber yet good old Buteo Buteo is green and of no concern in the UK.

I fully agree, I am not anti BTO, on the contrary.....I think they do a wonderful job.

Posted Images

Quack!

amber, ffs where have these people been looking. last week i counted over 70 between 2 canal bridges a distance of no more than half a mile :blink:

According to what I see late spring here the Hen Harrier isn't faring too bad, The male did a fly by every day at 5-5:30 I might just have to rely on what other experts say of its status nationally though

you saw one bird and you think it isn't faring too badly?

If you'd have seen 70 then you are well within your rights to state that they must be doing well, but one?

more left hand and right hand uncoordinated facts why put facts out that you contradict on another website they only muddy the waters that affect a good few more than the BTO and why were there. how can a bloke over the water tell me what i see daily is wrong ,because he has believes the BTO are all and mighty. there that mighty that they don't even bother to answer emails unless anyone else on here who has contacted them to join off here can say different as there was a few of us who had no reply

:huh: Wow! Paul; Just read That ~ in the cold light of sobriety, mate. Then, have the last word. Ban me. And lock the thread :rolleyes:

more left hand and right hand uncoordinated facts why put facts out that you contradict on another website they only muddy the waters that affect a good few more than the BTO and why were there. how can a bloke over the water tell me what i see daily is wrong ,because he has believes the BTO are all and mighty. there that mighty that they don't even bother to answer emails unless anyone else on here who has contacted them to join off here can say different as there was a few of us who had no reply

:huh: Wow! Paul; Just read That ~ in the cold light of sobriety, mate. Then, have the last word. Ban me. And lock the thread :rolleyes:

i think i will leave it as a reminder not to try and post after too many pints of cider, however i will stand by the fact that here the mallard population is as high if not higher than its ever been, perhaps there habits have change and some could be looking in the wrong places, who knows, so i will stick with what i see daily,

Quack!

amber, ffs where have these people been looking. last week i counted over 70 between 2 canal bridges a distance of no more than half a mile :blink:

According to what I see late spring here the Hen Harrier isn't faring too bad, The male did a fly by every day at 5-5:30 I might just have to rely on what other experts say of its status nationally though

If you'd have seen 70 then you are well within your rights to state that they must be doing well, but one?

Sarcasm, my point is counts need a lot more work than a single guy looking out his window at peak time. Fact remains the Hen Harrier is in decline. The last successful nesting pair were put off their nest by monitors (the guy wanted to show his kids I am told)

from there own figures mallards have increased in England by over 200% in the last 43 years and the biggest increase has been on inland waterways yet another increase of some 219% so my observations appear to mirror there own facts

Quack!

Sarcasm, my point is counts need a lot more work than a single guy looking out his window at peak time. Fact remains the Hen Harrier is in decline. The last successful nesting pair were put off their nest by monitors (the guy wanted to show his kids I am told)

again from the BTO website

Population changes in detail
minus.png

Annual breeding population changes for this species are not currently monitored by BTO

Quack!

presumably he was prosecuted for disturbing them then??

It gets worse than that, they want to allow the addling of mallard eggs on the open GL. (obviously they have been granting too many special licences for this) remember the Mallard is a declining national and international species, now we know the reason if council workers have been protecting the townie hoard from getting duck poop on their nice clean pink Nike trainers when out jogging! Greylag also are a proposal to add the the GL. Meanwhile Wildfowling clubs have just spent the last 50 years trying to re-establish a UK breeding stock, Geese live a long time and have to be fully mature before raising their own young and are very vunerable to shooting during the molt or when nesting or even over shooting in season. Allowing all and sundry to have a go during the off season could be a disaster (this UK stock was previously reduced to almost nil in the days of the early muzzle loader)

I do tend to agree that the GL has been abused for sport by some, Woodpigeon roosting and nesting thirty miles from a crop are hard to justify. Though is trailing non lythal means and trapping effective? If you release a crow into another area the resident crows will kill it and even if you could kill after capture will one catch in a Larsen prove it works and stop shooting on that ground? This sort of thing only shows their lack of hands on knowledge and we all know what crazy legislation has been forced onto us in the past through this!

What this shows is a real need to stand shoulder to shoulder, trust me some in English nature are very much lacking in real knowledge. I came across one senior person who was new to the job from Uni and was totally unaware that migratory wildfowl were being shot in season around the UK within the law and had been for hundreds of years, while in other areas the clubs are their biggest asset in conservation work and "box ticking".

Stand up and fight these three issues non lythal control 1. Actual trials of non lythal 2. ruining mallard eggs (on the reasons stated they are in decline) 3. out of season greylags (local special GL has previously been granted on the Egyptian goose in the past so and also on the greylag in the Scottish islands)

Go to the NE website and place your thoughts just put no-comment or similar on the stuff that doesn't effect us but please comment on these 3 issues

Who on earth has told you mallards are in decline. There's never been so many, and that goes for Greylag's too.

The fact is that Mallards do need to be put on GL, they are everywhere and do not do the ecosystem any favours at all.

and the fact that they're so god dammed tasty too

I totally agree as a wildfowler this isn't about being able to murder grown ducks in summer its about egg spoiling

Get the fuckers shot !!