Ferrets Refusing To Come Out?

RossR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as....kept 2 jills and a hob back from a ltter 3 yrs ago,the jills come out no problem,the hob is a pain in the arse Im no expert and this is aimed at no one in particular,but most skulkers Ive

It may well be down to incorrect rough handling and not enough handling as a youngster..

I have had this problem before and it can be cured, how I got over the problem is spending time in the garden with them putting them in tubes and letting them run through but dont jump at them straigh

has you no i do crave, for me hobs,,,lol over the years i have had 1 or 2 jill,s and more,lol,,,, and bin out with a lot of jill and hobs,,,,this problem what the post his about ive only ever seen jills do hit to be honest,,,,,,[ not saying hobs dont].. but ive not witnessed hit,,,,,ive found hobs a bit bald and easy going,,,, also the jills was polecat type ferts,,,

Edited by tjones3862

I know a pestie on here, who owns a seasoned jill that does it and wouldnt part with her for the world. It can be a right pain in the arse - but, she will clear or kill a warren. What do you do? Horses for courses.. Just make sure you have enough collars and ferrets and leave her be, move on. Chances are when you come back, it`ll have that last one bottled up shallow..

They are what you call ,,,,,,,,sulkers,,,,,,,,,,Sulking at the edge of burrow ,,,,its in the breeding ,some guys just breed off any old ferret If a ferret has any faults ,just like the one you have ,don't put her in kit .I had a ferret with the same problem myself ........yes it would spoil the day out I gave her away as a pet to a young lad ?All I can say is buy another ferret from good breeder with good stock leave that Sulker at home.Trial and error ,,,all part of the game.....Happy Hunting

well you learn something new every day lol ive a ferret of one of my jill which is a cracking worker comes out the burrow no bother its kit wont as you call it a sulker lol how does that work if its in the breeding ?
As for the name Sulkers its only a name we put on them ourselves.That kit of yours thats a Sulker?.......???as I say in the breeding

i give my kids and there mates a load of pipes and the ferret kitts in summer and they enter them to the pipes, it certainly mans most ferrets up, they never bite or skulk. i got an adult jill here that will stay with a bunny but if she dont hear digging she usually pops her head up and then goes back to bunny, it looks as tho she skulks but she deffo dont and now we know her we theres some still left in there..

They are what you call so if its in the breeding why is her sistets not doing it ?,,,,,,,,sulkers,,,,,,,,,,Sulking at the edge of burrow ,,,,its in the breeding ,some guys just breed off any old ferret If a ferret has any faults ,just like the one you have ,don't put her in kit .I had a ferret with the same problem myself ........yes it would spoil the day out I gave her away as a pet to a young lad ?All I can say is buy another ferret from good breeder with good stock leave that Sulker at home.Trial and error ,,,all part of the game.....Happy Hunting

well you learn something new every day lol ive a ferret of one of my jill which is a cracking worker comes out the burrow no bother its kit wont as you call it a sulker lol how does that work if its in the breeding ?
As for the name Sulkers its only a name we put on them ourselves.That kit of yours thats a Sulker?.......???as I say in the breeding

so if its in the breeding why is her sisters not doing it ?

Edited by nothernlite
  • Like 3

They are what you call so if its in the breeding why is her sistets not doing it ?,,,,,,,,sulkers,,,,,,,,,,Sulking at the edge of burrow ,,,,its in the breeding ,some guys just breed off any old ferret If a ferret has any faults ,just like the one you have ,don't put her in kit .I had a ferret with the same problem myself ........yes it would spoil the day out I gave her away as a pet to a young lad ?All I can say is buy another ferret from good breeder with good stock leave that Sulker at home.Trial and error ,,,all part of the game.....Happy Hunting

so if its in the breeding why is her sisters not doing it ?

Same as....kept 2 jills and a hob back from a ltter 3 yrs ago,the jills come out no problem,the hob is a pain in the arse :bad: Im no expert and this is aimed at no one in particular,but most skulkers Ive seen belonged to over eager owners trying to grab them the minute they stick their head out...... :yes:

• Like 5

I use a dead rabbit held just in the hole to lure the ferret out. Wiggle it about a bit, let the ferret latch and and SLOWLY draw the rabbit out. Reach round with one foot and plug the hole, and let the ferret have a bit of a rag on the rabbit before gently picking it up, making sure to keep rabbit on the ground: lift it up in the air and the ferret may drop off and try to get back down the hole. We've used this method for many years and it has never failed. Too many people are way too impatient with ferrets: do everything nice and slow and easy and most come right once they've got used to being out and being handled in the field, even though they may be all fired up to begin with.

Stop ferreting with her now , as if she doesn't come out and you grab at her your just making it worse , take the summer and as said try her in and out pipes in your garden and pick her up and down and move slow do it when you have plenty time and dont rush her . Teasing her out with a dead rabbit will work but the ferret soon wises up and lets go in the mouth of the hole and your back to square one again

• Like 1

Stop ferreting with her now , as if she doesn't come out and you grab at her your just making it worse , take the summer and as said try her in and out pipes in your garden and pick her up and down and move slow do it when you have plenty time and dont rush her . Teasing her out with a dead rabbit will work but the ferret soon wises up and lets go in the mouth of the hole and your back to square one again

Spot on and the only way to go imo. This is why the first 6 months of a ferrets life is so important i run my kits through pipes logs etc during the summer to prepare them for ferreting life,and it does pay off! Good luck and have patience!