Otter E-Petition

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

so there decimating fresh water stocks. And wiping out eels But you want the full protection to remain may i remind you or maybe you dont know otter hounds were NOT banned from hunting otters the

I think you’ve got to be realistic on this one; there’s absolutely no way the general public will support an otter cull. It’s just not going to happen.   People don’t understand how ecosystems work,

I think you summed it up perfectly there mate - "moderation is the key".   We all like to see them, they're a wonderful native species, I'm sure no-one wants an otter witch hunt.... But there have b

Don't know the first thing about Otters,just looked at the images,a 35lb carp killed by an otter....seriously :hmm: on a different tac,Cormorants do far more damage to the fisheries round here...absolute nightmare,decimate fish stocks at a rate of nots :yes:

. You can get a liecence to controll them

cormorants might do a lot of damage but they are not protected or released by clueless people. if your in Manchester you have otters already its just a matter of time before you get hit.

I know cormorants aren't protected ,however due to housing being in close proximity to at least 3 of the waters Ive seen decimated ,shooting is not an option.On one of the waters the powers that be have now installed cages every 30yds along the length of the fishery,each has a rope and a buoy so they can be clearly seen....they have effectively stopped pike fishing on there as a big fish will go straight round the back of them,with only one outcome.....back to my previous post ...an otter slaying a 35lb carp.... :hmm: whats your thoughts .... :thumbs:

I think you’ve got to be realistic on this one; there’s absolutely no way the general public will support an otter cull. It’s just not going to happen.

People don’t understand how ecosystems work, they don’t want to understand, they don’t care.
All they care about is which animals are cutest, and cuddly ‘ickle’ otters on T.V. are cuter than carp.

• Like 2

correct mate, and they cant see the fish so they have no idea what lives there. a cull will never happen but the ability to protect livestock from apex preditors like every other farmer should.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/Jossf/photo_zpsc727d4dc.jpg

a 40+ not sure how to show the pic

Edited by treecreeper

I think you’ve got to be realistic on this one; there’s absolutely no way the general public will support an otter cull. It’s just not going to happen.

People don’t understand how ecosystems work, they don’t want to understand, they don’t care.

All they care about is which animals are cutest, and cuddly ‘ickle’ otters on T.V. are cuter than carp.

Agreed mate, some good points there.

We are fortunate that there are other forms of management available. If selective or authorised culling would be completely out of the question, there are still measures that can be taken to protect fisheries or prevent further re-introductions etc. So in my opinion, this petition is very valid and worthwhile. I will continue to encourage people to sign it.

The angling trust have washed their hands of the problem, so this seems to be about the only way of trying to do something positive against the otter problem.

For anglers who haven't experienced otter predation in their area, I would encourage you to still sign the petition. Looking at how otter populations have spread across the UK in the last 10 years, it may not be long before most fisheries across the UK are stripped of their better quality fish.

It takes about a minute to sign the petition, so please make the effort.

Edited by ekpestcontrol

It’s a real tricky one.

This might sound far-fetched but maybe you could get a licence to live-catch and relocate them away from course fisheries, on the grounds that they are at risk from fishing line, etc.

Could be worth a shot. Especially if you can actually find one wrapped in fishing line.

I've signed it but I honestly don't think it will do much good. You've got to restock from the bottom of the food chain first, not put back the predator at the top, and hope for the best. When you think that a single pair of otters will eat 3kg of fish a day, thats a tonne a year, so you can imagine what they can do to a small fishery.