Who's Breeding This Spring/summer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might breed from these two, dog is 4 year old, bitch is just over 2 ((( it would be the first litter of pups that I have bred since early 70s, both dogs can do there job,  

On reflection you may be right , I apologise for the frivolous nature of my post , and hope it can be ignored and not detract from the discussion ,

i wouldnt agree with not wanting to improve your stock, no dog/pigeon/horse or other athletic animal is perfect in every aspect of its confirmation and performance. if your happy with a bitch then sou

Posted Images

Like I said if they are worthy of breeding..and they do all you want,and you want/need a pup yourself

But always look to improve

But be honest with yourself it maybe just easier to buy.

I had pups aborted from this bitch here

She was old enough but the dog was average that got to her

The only reason i'm breedi g is after some thought I don't know the quality of

Anyone else's dogs well enough to know if they are better than mine if I knew of a very good bitch with the right dog I would have bought in no disrespect to anyone I've spoke to but a thread I put up, a couple of replies made me think long and hard ATB roy

• Like 1

Its rarely easier to buy,the time and effort to see a dog run,the disappointment of numerous encounters with nuggets and chancers and people with standards below what Cameron would justify,far easier to breed from the substandard in your own kennel,then take the chance,than source honest stock elsewhere.

I meant if you have average stock and know of a better bred litter buy in ...If you have decent breed and use a stud that you fell will improve what you have,just being honest with yourself using average Or worse parents is only going to produce the same

But at the end of the day everyone has their own standards

And their own choices ATB Roy

I meant if you have average stock and know of a better bred litter buy in ...If you have decent breed and use a stud that you fell will improve what you have,just being honest with yourself using average Or worse parents is only going to produce the same

im in agreement roy. if the bitch is making you happy with what she is doing and capable of doing then surely if she is comming or has reached the end of her career then breeding off her to get the same or better would be the better option than to go travelling all over looking at others work, possible see one do the things you like and make a decission based on one nights/days graft when in reality that same dog may have done or does things that would make you run a mile but on the day of seing it work it ticked all the boxes....... unless the same person owns the dog put to the bitch then you have to repeat the whole process and maybe the owner of the stud doesnt want strangers to see the dog work so looking at the bitch was a waste of time as you possible cant get to see the dog. more to the point is the way things are gone i dont like asking anyone i dont know to see there dogs, either working or just a visual look on a lead, if anything happens the said animals your name is in the mix for asking about them and wanting to look at them, in reality that is the ways things are gone and unless i knew a person very well they would never see my dogs.......

roybo, its funny how we both have similar type and bred bitches, we both done months of research on choosing the right dog and one that will improve the quality of stock to come off these bitches for what we want them to do and coincidentally we both picked the same stud dog! that says enough for the way we think this type of bitch could possibly be complimented with a certain type of dog, i dont think its down to trying to get some thing decent from bad bitches but trying to combine certain characteristics from two perfecly capable proven parents.

• Like 1

So let me get this right? Those dogs that perform to a high, near perfect standard come from lines where every dog has been equally capable and at no point has any dog bettered what came before?

Now I don't agree with breeding from average dogs but im fairly sure that striving to better what's in your kennel with each generation that passes is a good thing?

• Like 3

the greyhound was origianlly bred for its speed, it has poor stamina, that doesnt mean it wasnt upto scratch to breed from as it done well for what it was bred to do.

the saluki was the same, bred for running but bags more wind than the hound, the two were put together to produce a different type of dog but done the same thing as both parents but to a better standard, hence good parents but tried to improve the pups and got the most common hare dog there there is today,

a specific greyhound that was tried and tested in its job and proved suitable to breed from put to a saluki with similar background produced a better hare dog than either of its parents who in there own right were good dogs.

im in agreement roy. if the bitch is making you happy with what she is doing and capable of doing then surely if she is comming or has reached the end of her career then breeding off her to get the same or better would be the better option than to go travelling all over looking at others work, possible see one do the things you like and make a decission based on one nights/days graft when in reality that same dog may have done or does things that would make you run a mile but on the day of seing it work it ticked all the boxes....... unless the same person owns the dog put to the bitch then you have to repeat the whole process and maybe the owner of the stud doesnt want strangers to see the dog work so looking at the bitch was a waste of time as you possible cant get to see the dog. more to the point is the way things are gone i dont like asking anyone i dont know to see there dogs, either working or just a visual look on a lead, if anything happens the said animals your name is in the mix for asking about them and wanting to look at them, in reality that is the ways things are gone and unless i knew a person very well they would never see my dogs.......

roybo, its funny how we both have similar type and bred bitches, we both done months of research on choosing the right dog and one that will improve the quality of stock to come off these bitches for what we want them to do and coincidentally we both picked the same stud dog! that says enough for the way we think this type of bitch could possibly be complimented with a certain type of dog, i dont think its down to trying to get some thing decent from bad bitches but trying to combine certain characteristics from two perfecly capable proven parents.

Great minds think alike Fox digger :) and I have nowt to add to that post spot on

Lot of good points on here most of the lads seem level headed not looking for quick cash to be honest be nice to see who does breed this year me for one would take a look at a couple if they go on general sale so keep us informed atb Flacko