I dont think it will be long before i build another aviary i really wish id built this one bigger .....

le Gnash; I reckon you could probably find the space there for a run of flights or so? :D

This is an issue I'd like to (Pointlessly, in my case!) see kicked off and chewed over here, some time;

One, massive, aviary Vs. a run of yard wide flights? :hmm:

Space aint an issue Pete just not sure i fancy the gaff ending up looking like a commercial bird farm with flights all over the show id imagine its an easy thing to get carried away with..............i do wish id done my aviary bigger not just from the birds point of view but mine as well im not a small chap so moving around in there aint easy....so lesson learned for next time.

I liked that one the fella on here built i forget his name now there was a topic on here as he built it......he did 1 big aviary with internal doors so as to open up or shut off runs as he pleased,nice aviary that was.

Millet, Gnash! A force to be reckoned with, when getting shit built is the thing! Christ, he threw that gorgeous structure up almost faster than we could read about it!

I've since slept on my own question and it now seems clear, to me, I think; Flights are the way. Sure, some birds are sociable and quiet neighbours. Redpolls and Siskins come to mind.

But, so many more sound to do better kept to themselves. If (IF) I were ever to contemplate keeping natives? I'd go with flights.

As it is? I can only have canaries ~ I'll be satisfied with that stricture :) And I haven't the option (money!) to build extensive aviaries. If I did? I'd probably still go with flights anyway. I feel ye'd get a far better sense of control over what's going on, that way.

Put a load of birds in one massive aviary? What ye going to end up with? Straights. Mules. Hybrids. It'd be a complete mish mash and ye really wouldn't know what the f**k was going on.

I'm rebuilding all my avairy along the lines of Millets,a cracking design that allows choice of flight sizes and some birds like bullfinches,chaffinches just won't have other finches around them during breeding season.Big aviaries look grand but finding nests and catching up is a nightmare and i spent 10 mins today catching a goldfinch mule for someone in a 6x6 flight and any longer it would have really started to stress the birds out and i would have given up,with Millets set up with the closing doors you can gently herd the birds into a smaller flight which is easier for catching up and easier on the birds as you can get on with and get it over and done with,

• Like 1