Saluki Training

hi all

need a bit of advise in regards to saluki training the recall is acceptable but a recent problem is the dog catches then buggers off across the field and when i get close he runs away just started doing it recently and it's becoming a real pain has anyone got a few pointers of what i can do. i'm not looking for perfect retrieving although that would be nice

cheers

atb

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I keep both sorts pal, to be fair me coursing dog a peach, never needed a raised word with him even, just pure well behaved dog, walk him up town with no lead just odd prompt, even call um off cats or

If you own and run a Saluki based lurcher then first learn patience and understanding,then learn some more,then a bit more,its that simple?.

I manage to take four pures out at a time plus a coursing dog n spaniel never have no chew, sure when they where pups odd bit here and there, but ya work ya way through it, the pups I have on now are

Posted Images

Mine was a bit like that i just left the dog to do what it wanted with the catch and then when its looking less interested in it then made my move praising her for the catch and now she's stopped parading round the field with it and waits for me to pick it up, im not overly bothered about retrieving though so i don't mind walking a bit to collect the catch, might be of some use to you trying that out, im sure there's other people who have had the same thing happen with good advice that could help you out though :)

• Like 2

hi all

need a bit of advise in regards to saluki training the recall is acceptable but a recent problem is the dog catches then buggers off across the field and when i get close he runs away just started doing it recently and it's becoming a real pain has anyone got a few pointers of what i can do. i'm not looking for perfect retrieving although that would be nice

cheers

atb

did you do any recall and retrieving in the puppy stages for rewards,

Tug play often helps with this sort of dog: it's all about keeping the dog in prey drive when it comes to you. Pm me if you want to read the articles I did on the subject: I've got a very flighty Saluki type dog and it's the only thing that got him coming to me eagerly.

• Like 2

Try doing trade off training with the saluki some tasty morsel hes interested in for what he has in his mouth. Nowadays the retrieving to hand is not always the best idea especially with the long eared stuff LOL. Mine retrieve to me useally mice, moles, frogs and every other bit of shite with a pulse they find and usually when least wanted LOL

Edited by desertbred

Face facts thay just not that type of dog to bring stuff back to hand not seen 1 do it yet as for running off the best thing is to stay clam and keep at it seen me standing for 2 hours waiting not as bad now thank god good luck mate