Approaching Land Owners/farmers

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice from the more experienced people on here, what is the best/most succesful way to approach farmers/land owners for use of their land, and anyone from the north east know of any landowners/farmers that let them use their land, dying to get out there but want to do it legally

How I approach is to dress smart be prepared and use your manners.

Ill go rougly 11ish as they won't be milking- Good morning SIR/MAAM I'm sorry to bother you I'm looking for land to shoot pest species over. If you have gun certificates produce them and any insurance papers. Tell them you take all dead game and obide by the country code. Also I ask them if they eat game if so your happy to prep some for the owner as and when they want them.

Just be polite if they say no offer them a card or your number for future reference. Take it on the chin and carry on. Don't get put off with a couple of knows. Just carry on be confident and you'll find some.

Good luck matey

Atb

Dan

if you have something to offer even if its only help at busy times of the year it might put you ahead of the hundreds of others they tell to sling their hook each year. a little background work will beat the cold call approach any day of the week.

Whats been said already but also start with friends and family, someone who knows someone will most likely own something you can hunt on. It's about gaining trust so if there is a personal connection there this will be easier. Once you have that first one, work out from there using the land owners as a reference

Thanks for the advice - I would never have thought of the 11am thing, we were going to try putting cards through the door saying we would visit in (eg 2 days) just so they would know we were coming, and why, unsure how we would word it though, also when we finally do get permission do we need to get something in writing or just shake of hand??

I started off by asking for ferreting permission ( as I found it easiest as dogs and guns can put some farmers off) when my foot was in the door I asked if I could take my terrier and lurcher along this was after a few months knowing they can trust me. not long after I bumped into the keeper whos shoot was on the land , aske me what I was doing told him I was ferreting but had run a fox to ground next to his pen and id dug it and dipatche of it . which was a lie as id stumbled across the spot and returne with the terrier . his eyes lit up and he ushered me into the motor before I knew it I had more land than I could handle at the time and earths yhat had not been touched for years . trust is a massive problem within the rural community I found trust was the key and anything you have to offer definitely helps eg I fit the shoot owners windows 20 grand cheaper than the quote he was given , im well in now lol all the best in your search matey

first off apply half a tub of brylcreem to your jet black hair and comb the fringe over the back off your head and jump in your transit crew cab complete with 0800 number on the side. on approaching the farmer point out that his driveway could do with tarmacing, his roof needs repairs done and let him no that if he wants to sell his scrap metal your willing to sort a decent price out!

now you have his attention you need to fire so many questions at him that he thinks he is surrounded and before you no it you got permisson and grazing land for ye horse

Hit a rough patch there as I don't really have anything to offer, was a doorman and now a delivery driver, mabe an offer that if they have any problem pests we will stay out until it is dealt with?? We are both B.A.S.C members, don't know if that will be any help to us?? I did try to ask this in the new members section, but I think the only replies I got were from people trying to bump their posts up

Camo gear for me ferret box on the shoulder knock knock what like min ) seen some rabbit burrows up the road there any chance of butting my ferret down there and clearing them for you , have about 6 in your van from the night before ) , go back down to see him show him and tell him they had 5/6 young in them , bobs your uncle fannys yir aunt ??

• Like 2

Well this went downhill quickly!! Thanks for the usefull advice though, ill let you know how we get on

It's just THL way there's no malice in it :)

Your best bet is to identify what pest they're likely to have a problem with, if they've got arable land they might want pigeons sorting out at certain times of the year but pigeon shooting is sort after by a lot of people and they probably get inundated by pigeon shooters depending where you live. If you're looking for pigeon you might want to wait till their hitting the crops first and then approach them. Look for evidence of large rabbit populations as well. Once you're on for one pest then you can probably shoot the other stuff. I guess it's like anything try to build up a rapport and come across as genuine rather than someone who's just after a bit of armed rambling and like everyone says once you get one permission others tend to come.