New Aluminium Phosphide Exam; Will Anyone Bother?

So far I’ve never got involved with using phosphine, I’m of the opinion gassing moles lacks a certain skill and fineness.

But I do understand that it’s used it to control rabbits/rats on farms, particularly this time of year. I also understand that a new qualification for aluminium phosphide use will soon be needed (possibly already is needed).

So my question is:

A. Will the new qualification mean more agricultural work for pest controllers who do take the exam?

B. Will anyone on here bother taking it?

C. When will/did the new legislation kick in? (I’m being quoted dates in late 2015, but the pest control supplies companies have already been offering me courses for quite a while now).

Thanks.

• Like 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So far I’ve never got involved with using phosphine, I’m of the opinion gassing moles lacks a certain skill and fineness.   But I do understand that it’s used it to control rabbits/rats on farms, pa

Oh dear, which part of my post did you find confusing?

Your correct there mate, im still learning.............but in my humble opinion, aluminium phosphide is still a poor method, against MOLES...........

Thanks jack, so you use it for what? Rabbits yes?

I’m just trying to work out if it’s worth me spending money getting qualified for something there might not be any real call for; or if pest controllers with the new gassing ticket might start being quite sought after.

Hi MMK, They’ll certainly talk a lot about legislation, but I’m not sure the level 2 rsph allows you to actually ‘do’ anything.

In fact I’ll put my card on the table here:
I’m fairly sure the level 2 is largely just a piece of legal protection that big companies can put between themselves and the pest control antics of their under paid, regularly inept staff.

In a couple of years of (admittedly, mostly domestic/smallholdings) pest control I’ve never been asked to show my papers once.

I did the Safe Use of Aluminum Phosphide course/exam as part of a larger course and now have the ticket to use it.

Do I use it? No.

It's rubbish on moles and I love trapping them, and there are too many boys out there doing rabbit control for free to make it worth my while buying all the gear.

I did the Safe Use of Aluminum Phosphide course/exam as part of a larger course and now have the ticket to use it.

Do I use it? No.

It's rubbish on moles and I love trapping them, and there are too many boys out there doing rabbit control for free to make it worth my while buying all the gear.

If you change your mind let me know Steve. I've got a few Talpex applicators for sale.

I'm still undecided whether I'll update my ticket, but it's not looking likely at the moment. I only ever used the product on rats and occasionally rabbits and now trap moles and do pretty much nothing else, so it could just be another piece of paper gathering dust.

So far I’ve never got involved with using phosphine, I’m of the opinion gassing moles lacks a certain skill and fineness.

But I do understand that it’s used it to control rabbits/rats on farms, particularly this time of year. I also understand that a new qualification for aluminium phosphide use will soon be needed (possibly already is needed).

So my question is:

A. Will the new qualification mean more agricultural work for pest controllers who do take the exam?

B. Will anyone on here bother taking it?

C. When will/did the new legislation kick in? (I’m being quoted dates in late 2015, but the pest control supplies companies have already been offering me courses for quite a while now).

Thanks.

It may at least stop some farmers,( and other untrained individuals from aquiring it) Up here, farmers could get it easily,over the counter, at any agricultural supplier,etc,who cared to stock it.All that was required,was the farm holding number, and a signature !

Do I use it? No.

I was recently talking to an MD,of a commercial pest control co. Told me he had (surprisingly),NEVER failed achieving control of moles,with aluminium phosphide.It was always 100%,successful !