After a day out working or a good long walk my young dog Ruby is continuously restless, throwing herself round the garden / house when you'd expect her to be knackered and quiet. She flicks her back legs out, rubs herself off every surface, goes round in circles trying to get comfy on the bed and gives out a quiet whine...basically she just moves at 100mph and clearly something is doing her tits in....I've checked and checked again and there are no thorns, grass seed etc stuck anywhere...so does anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on? She usually goes back to normal about 2 or 3 hours after we get back and doesn't do it again until we get back from our next walk.

Is it muscle fatigue?

Sounds like something is irritating her ... Give her a piriton tablet before the next walk to see if it makes a difference .......

Cheers socks. Will give that a bash. There is no redness or rash or anything but could it be pollen / grass allergy? Just my luck...

Could be nettles even though they are dying back now. Lots of irritants out there that can mither a dog. Like Socks says. A dose of anti histamine as soon as you get back should do the trick mate.

• Like 3

Could be nettles even though they are dying back now. Lots of irritants out there that can mither a dog. Like Socks says. A dose of anti histamine as soon as you get back should do the trick mate.

Yes, one of my dogs is exactly as you described Rubytex, and its definitely when he's been nettled.

Strange how it doesn't bother some dogs.

• Like 1

It's just seemed to develop over the last week or two, been beating twice and she was rubbing herself round the paving slabs / raised beds out in the garden when we got in and today when I've had them both out over the stream, long grass and wooded areas she's been bouncing off the ceiling.

Gave her some Piriton and bathed her feet in bicarbonate soda with warm water and she's back to normal. At least I know the score for future.

Cheers lads :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yes, one of my dogs is exactly as you described Rubytex, and its definitely when he's been nettled.

Strange how it doesn't bother some dogs.

Where I go it got strimmed not so long back so there are no nettles...yet!

How old is she? I remember my spaniel bitch used to be restless after walks and found out it was the nettles stinging her pads on her paws. When there pups they have very soft pads, but now she's older they are rough and she's tough to it now.

How old is she? I remember my spaniel bitch used to be restless after walks and found out it was the nettles stinging her pads on her paws. When there pups they have very soft pads, but now she's older they are rough and she's tough to it now.

She's 33 months so I would have thought her pads would be toughened up by now. The amount of walking on concrete, beach, grass and woodlands etc you'd think so!

I tried a new thing today anyway lads, we've been out all morning, got back and stood her in the washing up bowl full of warm water and bicarbonate of soda. Didn't give her a Piriton...had no discomfort at all :thumbs:

• Like 1

Some dogs get over being nettled some don't and it affects them every time, my 3 year old bitch reacts to them, but normally its when we get home

they start to bother her, my 10 month pup reacts badly to them and thinks hes getting murdered.

Have been seeing lots of young nettles coming up in the last week or so.

• 1 month later...