Two New Long Nets Two Ferrets Two Kids...

As my new long nets arrived on Saturday I had decided to go out on Sunday regardless of the weather with the kids and 2 of my hobs. So Sunday morning when I woke up and looked out of the window and saw frost on the ground I knew it would be a good day to test out my new nets.

cf3823ba2ea7465d4c2723c2a7e48840_zpsdeaa

So we packed up my car (Mk1 Golf not the ideal car for ferreting) and a spot of lunch and off we went. We arrive to my permission and got to the first warren under a large tree, set up the nets around it and sent the ferrets to work. After a short while a few bunnys we're jumping but not bolting into the nets as I couldn't get in to set purse nets I picked up the ferrets and nets and went to the next warren.

f797eb4ccc067874c923c8d381e33508_zps4831

ee736733bce429444828fc827cba6619_zps0379

After a little time here we had a few in the purse nets but still none had hit my long nets. By this time it was a round lunch time and the rain had started falling. So I quickly set up a shelter to get us out of the rain to have lunch.

c0f1982b28a187b37fb6c0a5f686112a_zps6815

194e6537b994eff17d571cded872c4df_zps4f94

As the rain pored we happily sat in the dry eating our lunch, drinking hot chocolate and coffee. We waited for the rain to die off and we set off again. With me setting the long nets and the kids sorting out the bagging we had it nailed. And it wasn't long be for the rabbits were hitting the net. As this is the first time I've used a long net I could not believe how quick and easy it was to use. We had no rabbits bouncing off, everyone got court in the net, however there is always one or two that get away and that day was no exception. Overall we had a great day and the kids loved it, even with the rain, and my daughter said that the next time we go we should take amber and ruby (the dogs) for the few that get away, and I think she's right.

DSC00571.jpg

Amber

DSC00570.jpg

Ruby

• Like 10

Spot on mate to me thats what ferreting and the countryside is all about. Like was said before your kids will remember that all their lives.My fondus memory is my grandad taking me poaching :whistling: with ferrets at 4yrs old :D happiest times of my life mate.