What Makes You Do It?

My question being what makes you hunt?

I have hunted since my school days, starting out ferreting then moved onto airguns then lurchers, but I've always been involved in hunting in one way or another even whilst out playing as a kid, I knicked some old mig wire from my dads garage that my brother had got from work and tried to make some makeshift snares I'd read about in my sas survival book I'd been bought as a present, or making my own bows out of branches and fishing line, expecting to drop some game with it :D.

For me now its about being out in the countryside away from the rest of the world, with my faithful companions, who work as they are bred for and do there best to please me everytime, you can't beat seeing your own dog you have brought up from puppyhood catching his game in style, sticking behind a hare and breaking his stride down jinking and turning then taking him, what a sight...or the sound of broken branches as a fine roe buck breaks from his woodland retreat with a running dog close behind through hedge and field, then taking him out, this is what its all about for me, theres nothing comes close, drugs what are they, who needs them this is my buzz, the most natural buzz in the world, being a hunter and being part of it, its life at its most basic, the hunting gene is in us all somewhere down the line maybe stronger in some than others, but its there dormant waiting.

Why do I hunt?

I was born a hunter, its in me, just like everyone else in the world.

Good hunting to you all, keep up the fight.

the buzz keeps me doing it and having a good time and a laugh with a few mates Ok I have a laugh and a good time when Im out with my mates when Im not hunting but this is diffrent you get away from the stress of home life and you can just chill out and relax and be on your own if you want. I get great enjoyment from watching a dog using its nose and working up a scent then and watching them figure out how to out smart there quarry. and you get to see some funny stuff when your hunting men dance about like little girls when a rat runs opver there feet.lol :D and then the other side to it is you get to see sights youd never see if you didnt hunt watch a fox moochimng a long a hedge row or a deer on the hedge of a field feeding if you didnt hunt youd think yourself one lucky man if you saw any off that happen. really you get to see a little bit of nature at its best

Edited by Pat
Guest vulcan
isnt anyone ellse goingto reply to this post there must be a reason why everybody hunts and why they keep doing it so let us all know hey.

ITS THE OLD ONE MAN AGAINST BEAST PITTING YOUR WITS AGAINST YOUR QUARRY USING YOUR SUPPIRIOR SKILLS (HUNTING)AGAINST BEAST AND FILLING THE POT,BUT BEST OF ALL I LOVE IT!

Just being out away from the rat race of normal day to day life, does it for me, were closer to nature than any of them.....this is the real rush, feeling alive, I hunt because I love it, its in us all, for me nothing comes close to hunting with dogs, thats my real love in life.

I watch Gypsy run and my pulse races. I feel my fists clench as every bone in my body wills the dog to catch. The hare twists and turns and while I know the dog is outclassed I can't help but urge her on. Hare hits the fence and Gypsy pulls up panting... maybe next time?

How about the feeling of entering the ferret to the warren? Have I netted them all? Did I get all the holes near the brambles? I'm crouched down holding the spade wishing the world would stop so I can hear what's going on. Then silence. Check the watch, look at the spade, check the watch... should I... BANG rabbit hits the net. I jump on it and start struggling with spun nylon. f**k my hands are cold today... BANG another... s'okay though... Gypsy's got that one... good girl...

I hear the Midge bay as she locates her nemesis in the earth. The deep whumping noise in the ground as she opens up. The sheer anticipation as the wheel of the locator reads 4...then 5...then 6... Then complete exhilaration as Charles bolts and heads for the treeline. The same racing pulse as Misty shakes her slip... She yelps as it's not off fast enough, heads off in pursuit. The blood still thumping in my head. Did she get him?

I see the woodie in the cross hairs. Heart racing again. I try and slow my breathing (cos I'm a fat c**t). The reticule moving slowly up and down. It hops from branch to branch and I follow it through the scope. I try not to move to give away my position but I have to move to keep it in range. I hold my breath. I take the shot. Everything in slow motion. Everything is silent. I hold the target in the sight. Suddenly a thump as the pellet hits home and the snapping of twigs as it crashes from it's perch. Everything quiet again... floating feathers the only give away that normality had a brief incursion...

Why do I hunt? Dunno mate...

i hunt for the hunt.......to see a good dog commit itself, to watch that "uncatchable" bambi roll over, to see that great retreive, to see a good fox hit the net, to hear the three notes "to ground", to see old puss sat deep in here seat and walk by leaving her in peace,to savour that rich foxy odour as we break through, to see the dog catch 3/3 or 4/4, to start the young, dumb pup off on its journey of discovery......and so much more

Guest countryboy

How can you put into words the emotions you feel when you're out by yourself, tucked in some hedge bottom listening to voles and fieldmice rummaging in the leafmould, a crow or maggie just in earshot, wondering whether it's coming your way. Butterflies,wrens,sparrowhawks living thier lives unaware you're watching them. And the landscape. Hills and valleys gouged out in the ice-age. Woods and hedges planted by folk long gone, country people who knew hard work and had hard lives.People who might have walked past the very spot you're in after a rabbit for the pot. To imagine how the pigeons,geese,peewits,crows,starlings etc. have been flying accross this same piece of sky for thousands of years. That the deer you're looking at right now is descended from a beast that stood in that same spot six hundred years ago. It's incredible. The fact that you are sitting there, seeing all this wild,truly wild,life is a mere pinprick in the scheme of things. The fact you're shot connected or your dog or ferret or hawk made the kill is just the climax of all this. Your just the latest in a long, long line of folk who have done what you've just done.It was in their genes the same as it's in ours. That's why we see things mr &mrs urban will never see and would'nt even be interested in seeing.

Long live " ye birdes of the aire and ye beastes of the fielde".

Good Hunting.

Its in all of us somewhere. Just a bit closer to the surface in some. That said I do it to get as close to nature as humanly possible. The fact that hunter is set against hunted, never truly knowing what will happen in the next second, or the one after. The thrill when it goes to plan, the rabbits hitting the nets one after the other, the terriers bolting the rats and hunting them down, the hound on the scent of charlie who uses all his cunning to evade capture. Being out in the elements against being sat in the warmth of the central heating, that can wait till later. I strongly believe that all creatures have a purpose and part of our purpose is the stewardship of our flora and fauna. Just get out there and do it, it can't be beaten. :lol: