Roadside Ferreting

Just wondering have any of you guys gone ferreting right next to a road? I was asked by a mate of mine that helps out on his uncles farm if I could get rid of some rabbits and of course I said yes!! So yesterday I went down to have a look and it is right beside a bloody dual carriageway. It's a bank that is full of holes and his hedges are getting destroyed.

I'm not too sure about it now incase rabbits start bolting on the road or even my ferret taking a wonder. Would you guys use a long net? Advice please?

I'd been wondering if it counts as the farmers land until the verge gets to a pavement or road? Farm I'm on just now has holes along the hedges beside the roads, which would mean setting nets on the road side grass verge. Is that ok?

Crack on. Long net the road so they can't bolt across it, use an easily visible ferret, i.e white, collar them up. Stand road side to prevent it wondering out or designate a spotter who is only allowed to stop the ferret wandering on the road and not actually do any rabbit killing if its really close. Also, I would stick a high vis jacket on. Nobody ever queries someone who looks like they should be there.

Atb, Bb

Ive done that with no problem just stood with my back tight into the hedge wait on a rabbit bolting step out kill it throw the rabbit still in the net over to my son and reset a new net at the hole . Done it on two major dual carriage ways gets you rabbits and keeps the farmers happy , It wasn't till afterwards i thought what if we had to dig :laugh:

I'd been wondering if it counts as the farmers land until the verge gets to a pavement or road? Farm I'm on just now has holes along the hedges beside the roads, which would mean setting nets on the road side grass verge. Is that ok?

Borders are a difficult one, even whe not on a road side. I tend to treat it as long as the warren is partially on your land, do the whole warren, but no further. If you know where the farm is/owner is, then by all means, go ask for clarification, you never know they may give you the rest of the land as well. As for the road side, I would crack on, as long as you're respectful and clean, and not running round like lunatics causing chaos on the roads, you'll be fine. As I said above, stick a high vis on and nobody will question that you shouldn't be there.

As said if its a road side crack on till the council or the police draw up , if its a boundary hedge i go and ask if i can do there side , some times they will say ive seen you out a fair bit crack on and do the rest .a few times ive been allowed to do it and they have spoken to the land owner afterwards and ive been asked to go back and see them and allowed to ferret there land

As far as I'm aware it is part of his ground... Will try the long nets and have 4 other guys gona come along. Have my Jill and a cracking hob that I'm getting a lend of (both sandy. Worth a go anyway, few hours fun won't go a miss.

Good idea about the hi visibility coats!!

Right first thing is to make sure the farmer owns the permission I guess that being a duel carraigeway t be the councils :thumbs: so due to this location there is fair chance that you could get a tug from the plod when somebody phones in some dodgy guys in camo rooting around the hedge .So there could be your first issue :thumbs:

But if all is well on that then roadside ferreting can be the most productive ferretting as in my time have learnt that its very very rare from the warrens to go below the tarmac edge right upto it yes but rarely under due to make up of the roads gravel sub bases coneys love the dry warmth as the tarmac acts as big solar pannel to the sub base :thumbs: .

Plenty of nets and men and work in sections of about 100 holes if it that bad dont be tempted to try and net the entire bank if its massive just work the ferts in systmatic manner along the bank rolling the nets along .

ATB Cookie

On a lighter note ,we were once asked to do a busy road side .After being there for an hour or so the police turned up after having a call reporting a body in the hedge , turns out it was my dad lead in the hedge netting up !

• Like 1

IT WILL BE A BAD DAY IF YOU GET A KILL IN YOU WONT BE DIGGING THEM .THE BANKING MAY LOOK LIKE SOIL BUT ABOUT A FOOT DOWN COMPACTED CRUSHER RUN I ONCE DID A BANKING NEVER AGAIN GRAFTER JUST BOUNCING OFF BEST OF LOOK YOU WILL NEED IT

GRAFTER JUST BOUNCING OFF????? makes you wonder what the rabbits are using to dig themselves in

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1