Stop The Biting

eaiser to stop them when their kits i always give them a rabbit and while they are eating i i stroke their heads and get my hands in there so they can tell the difference between food and my hand, best thing u can do is keep handing them mate, if i ever get a worker that bites constantly then i dont keep em my little boy comes with me and if they were to ever have a go at his hand then the missus wouldnt let me take him no more lol :icon_redface:

I had some real bad kits that were about 5 months old and they just would not stop biting I think there was something wrong with em interbred or something got them off a girl on here who just came on here to get rid of some kits never seen her post again well anyway got 2 gill kits from a recommended breeder and they never bite and there a pleasure to work and you dint worry about bit so as said get some well bred kits and you should not have a priblem

As the guys have said sourcing kits from a decent breeder who puts in the early time is half the battle. Other than that i just use my tone of voice, stern "no"s and "oi"s. "Gentle"if it's just play nips that are over the mark.

I had one problem kit two years ago, I let them out to have a play and handle them, when she bit me I'd tell her no and put her in a cat carrier for a few minutes so she missed out on her play time, then took her out and gave her the chance to bite again, if she did she went back in the carrier. Can take time and patience with the stubborn ones.

Handling, handling and more handling :thumbs: ferrets are smart animals, apply some basic dog training concepts to ferrets, the one that springs to mind is positive reinforcement. Make handling as pleasurable to the ferret as possible.

• Like 2

I've always tried to handle as much as possible and if they do try to nibble as youngsters i don't push my finger in their throat but hold in in their mouth until they have to try hard to get their mouth away, they very quickly stop mouthing your finger. Saying that though johnnyboy and jai wouldn't describe them as non biters but I'd just say they've good taste, lol.

Them feckin things of yours are feral mun. :laugh:

• Like 1

Keeping ferrets and ferreting is surposed to be enjoyable, if the fert is biting its not happy and there for you are the same,

I give them a month of full on handling if no joy they get the air rifle, upsets me every time!.

BUT the best way and I no its not always possible as soon as the jill lets them out pick um up x