The Hound.

Ideation

Similar stamp and black and tan. . . . it's owned by fox pack on here, a long with a couple of litter sisters I believe. . . . .

Could have an anomoly in the litter though as one of my bitches brothers is harrier size I think :laugh: Or near enough. . . . her whole litter is flying though, mostly in gun or private packs. . . .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

couple more pics of the beagle x cockers      

With this particular bitch, she is pretty biddable. It was one if my biggest concerns in getting her and bringing her on and so I've put a lot of time into her. At the end of the day she is a hound so

Posted Images

Similar stamp and black and tan. . . . it's owned by fox pack on here, a long with a couple of litter sisters I believe. . . . .

Could have an anomoly in the litter though as one of my bitches brothers is harrier size I think :laugh: Or near enough. . . . her whole litter is flying though, mostly in gun or private packs. . . .

would you say these would suit someone for close up work ,,,just working brambles ,for ferreting and general mooching who would you think something with more spaniel blood would be betyter suited for that type of work.....

i love the look of them begal crosses ...............but i wouldn't like chasing it down over 3 fields screaming and cursing its name like a banshee :laugh:

I've only had the one, so I dont think i'm qualified to say . . . . .

That was our biggest concern when I got her, that she would get too hot, and feck off on a line for miles, taking the rest of the dogs with her. I put a MASSIVE amount of time into her, which I had the luxury of doing as when she was a put , co-incided with our rearing and releasing of pheasants etc, so she just came about the shoot with me all day every day (helps she fits on the quad). I also never took her out with another dog until she was around 8 months, making sure she was totally me focused. It seems to have worked, but I guess it's still early days. . . .

In general I'd say that less beagle and more spaniel would be a better job for the ferreting etc. She will do it, but you can tell that where her heart is. . . . is baying like feck! Having said that, unless she hits a fox or deer, for the most part rabbits never run that far, and she will work close as you need. . . . and you dont lose much with her on the case.

A final thing, is that I shoot over her sometimes. . . . and she knows the difference, and stays real close when I have the gun. Even taken her pigeon shooting once :laugh:

• Like 2

That was our biggest concern when I got her, that she would get too hot, and feck off on a line for miles, taking the rest of the dogs with her. I put a MASSIVE amount of time into her, which I had the luxury of doing as when she was a put , co-incided with our rearing and releasing of pheasants etc, so she just came about the shoot with me all day every day (helps she fits on the quad). I also never took her out with another dog until she was around 8 months, making sure she was totally me focused. It seems to have worked, but I guess it's still early days. . . .

In general I'd say that less beagle and more spaniel would be a better job for the ferreting etc. She will do it, but you can tell that where her heart is. . . . is baying like feck! Having said that, unless she hits a fox or deer, for the most part rabbits never run that far, and she will work close as you need. . . . and you dont lose much with her on the case.

A final thing, is that I shoot over her sometimes. . . . and she knows the difference, and stays real close when I have the gun. Even taken her pigeon shooting once :laugh:

i shoot also and wanted something that could multi task.something i could use to bush,ferreting,working under the gun through the day but also something i could take out at night with me when shooting Ferrells .....now i no that a spaniel could do all those things but its the lack of speaking when working cover what puts me off a full spaniel.....i think something more along the lines of maybe a begal x terrier put to a full spaniel so has to just ad a dash of begal to the mix would probably suit better ....... or maybe even just a spaniel x terrier

i shoot also and wanted something that could multi task.something i could use to bush,ferreting,working under the gun through the day but also something i could take out at night with me when shooting Ferrells .....now i no that a spaniel could do all those things but its the lack of speaking when working cover what puts me off a full spaniel.....i think something more along the lines of maybe a begal x terrier put to a full spaniel so has to just ad a dash of begal to the mix would probably suit better ....... or maybe even just a spaniel x terrier

Wouldn't you be best getting a purpose bred bushing dog for bushing and using your lurcher for ferreting and shooting over?

Both will take a lot of time and good training but trying to train a bushing dog to work close with the gun and retrieve sounds like a mammoth task.

Not saying it can't be done. Ideation seems to have succeeded but look at the time he has spent with that bitch.

Wouldn't you be best getting a purpose bred bushing dog for bushing and using your lurcher for ferreting and shooting over?

Both will take a lot of time and good training but trying to train a bushing dog to work close with the gun and retrieve sounds like a mammoth task.

Not saying it can't be done. Ideation seems to have succeeded but look at the time he has spent with that bitch.

You'd be suprised how smart a lot of bushing dogs are. If they're biddable they learn how to work to the gun and how to work to the lurchers. I'm not saying they're always perfect but definately very usefull for both jobs.

I'd say it's important to get something biddable though, that's the key trait to a multi tasking mutt.

Edited by Born Hunter

I no what your saying pal but when I sa work to the gun I don't mean to gun dog standard I mean more along the lines of bushing and retrieving when game is shot.I need something that has good nose natural retreiving ability and trainable and not gun shy lol and speaks when close up to game.there's quiet a few lads that have got bushing dogs what will happily work under a gun but plenty also what run off after first shots fired.I won't be using it for pigeon shooting just bushing with a gun realy.

attachicon.gifImage013.jpg this is brother to smallys the one I kept back think I bred a good litter there lads cocker x beagle

Will you be keeping one from this dogs dam this time pal? hopefully 3rd time lucky how old the first litter now the beagle russels? If I can remember there about same age as my dog 2 1/2 ish. I liked them a lot shame you never kept any back as they turned out belters a credit to you. Will have something similar myself soon from a very good line of bull russel with 20 yrs of breeding in them since bull touched the line to a Beagle from a pack that runs hares. will be keeping 1 or 2 back tho to run with my current busher.

Edited by Bazil brush