Ferrets Going Deeper

Just put one kit down and leave it to chase the rabbits out, if you put to many ferrets in a small warren, the rabbits have no place to run, natural instinct tells the rabbit to bolt into an open space when the burrow is invaded by any type of mustalid, be it a stoat, weasle, mink or ferret, rabbits like to know where they are, so head to the surface to give them the run around :thumbs: Also, your oldest jill will most likely have killed underground and left the dead rabbit in a stopend, thats why she surfaces with fur on her claws :thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your ferrets are going deep enough if they have fur on their claws, its just the ferret can't get the rabbits moving because their spooked

Just keep taking them out, and popping them in holes and they'll get better with practice, if you put your oldest jill into a warren and she come straight back out, move to another warren, she sounds

Thanks stealthy1, I will try that next time, the kits seem more interested in hole popping at the mo tho. I'm sure they will get it

Just keep taking them out, and popping them in holes and they'll get better with practice, if you put your oldest jill into a warren and she come straight back out, move to another warren, she sounds like she knows if there's rabbits in a warren or not, trust her a bit :thumbs:

• Like 1

try and get a marking dog mate, even if its a day out with someone that owns one, then you'l be able to get a better idea of what your ferrets are up to, i used to ferret without a terrier but id spent hours and hours netting holes ect ect, then...................................nothing at home, so frustrating, you'l see the benifits of a good marking dog :thumbs: try talking the misses into letting you have one :laugh:

Haha foxtails I had that experience today mate, crawling through a hawthorn edge laying nets for ages............ Then nothing home!!!

How do you know there was nothing at home if the ferrets aren't bolting bunnys? :laugh:

You've had some good advice on this thread mate :yes:

Keep at it.

Pot luck with out a marking dog wish I had one. On the plus side you get so used to ferreting empty holes when one does bolt its a hell of a suprise

Like said above going with a good dog gives you a much better idea of what the ferrets are up to and is great for starting young ferrets off

Hopefully sorted a day/ days out with an experienced ferreter off here, so hopefully I will learn a thing or two from him, and yeah I have been given some great advise tonight and really appreciate it. Really looking forward to getting out again now and trying what I've been told after feeling a bit deflated earlier. Thanks for everyone's input

I've said this before, if I was you I'd put up a fresh post asking if anyone will let you tag along on their ferreting sessions. Hopefully someone with a wealth of experience can teach you the ropes. That way you'll get plenty of work for your ferrets and plenty of bunnies flying back at you!!

As said if the jill has fur on her claws shes finding and hitting rabbits , your letting her down either by lack of field craft too much noise on top etc so the rabbits wont bolt or failing to locate her and get on a spade and get the rabbit out , i would put the kits in the burrow with the jill if shes going to bolt rabbits there going to bolt past the kits till they get some experience