Ferrets Going Deeper

Hi guys not been ferreting long, I have 3 Jill's, two are kits at around 7 months old and I also have the mother of them, I've tried to take them out every weekend ferreting, they seem to be getting the hang of it and I've had a few rabbits, it just seems that they don't go deep into the warren? They just seem to enter 1 hole then pop out in the next hole along all the way through the warren, would this be down to there age and experience? And would they go deeper the more they get worked? The mother does virtually the same, tho she does sometimes come up with rabbit fur on her claws, she just doesn't se to be able to make them bolt? A bit frustrating packing up knowing that there is a rabbit/rabbits that are still in the warren? Any advise welcome, thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your ferrets are going deep enough if they have fur on their claws, its just the ferret can't get the rabbits moving because their spooked

Just keep taking them out, and popping them in holes and they'll get better with practice, if you put your oldest jill into a warren and she come straight back out, move to another warren, she sounds

You sure you ain't being too noisy. Putting them off bolting. Have you got locator? If Jill coming back out with Fur in claws then she is finding them. You just needto get a mark an dig down or be real quiet when netting up. Try netting up then moving to next place and netting there to let first calm down again. Or just have 5 mins sat on box a fair bit away till warren settles down

Not really but it'll make the bunnys rather squeeze into a stop end than bolt. That's more than likely why she got fur in claws, scratching at there back ends whilst they are squeezed in. Are you sure they are deeper than what the ferrets are going? And sorry but I just need to ask, why breed off a Jill thatyou think is leaving bunnys to ground? Maybe she just ain't very good? Try and get out with somebody that knows there ferrets will search the whle place

I bought the kits from a lad that bred them, he used ferrets with his bird of prey, and he wanted to get rid of all of them so he gave me the mother for free, yeah think I may ask about to see if anybody wants to give me some tips, tho rabbits are pretty scarce on my permission this year.

You sure you ain't being too noisy. Putting them off bolting. Have you got locator? If Jill coming back out with Fur in claws then she is finding them. You just needto get a mark an dig down or be real quiet when netting up. Try netting up then moving to next place and netting there to let first calm down again. Or just have 5 mins sat on box a fair bit away till warren settles down

that was my first thought , iv had inexperiened ferret like this in the past , you'l know when you get a good working ferret, they may very well come on to be good workers, ATB fts

Just keep trying them pal.are they only small ferrets? Lot if hawk lads up here keep smaller ferrets that will bolt more than stay till dug to. Have you got a marking dog? I'd have bet in burys containing bunnys a few times and either been proved wrong by ferreting it or dog walked straight past lol keep getting them out and try and get somebody else together a day out with and keep you right

Edited by Hot Meat

Yeah I don't want to give up on the kits as they do seem to knuckle down once they chill out a bit, but like what has been said, maybe they just won't be workers, suppose only time and experience will tell. I did read that it takes them a few seasons to become good workers

Thanks hot meat for the advise, yeah I will try and find an experienced ferreter to go out with, they aware good size, the mother seems to be really small tho. Was thinking of getting a hob as I've read they can be good for moving stubborn rabbits.

Your ferrets are going deep enough if they have fur on their claws, its just the ferret can't get the rabbits moving because their spooked :thumbs:

Just thought I'd add, don't put to many ferrets in a small warren, leave the rabbits an escape route, or they will stopend every time.