Advice Please Guys .17Hmr For Fox?

Be that as it may, I consider a 150 yard shot too far with a .17 hmr, there are far far better tools out there, the venerable .22 hornet being one of them, it may be ok in still conditions but with that tiny bullet that has lost a lot of energy @150 yards, in windy conditions there is just too much chance of wounding, I flattened enough foxes @150-200 yards with a hornet without a single runner (well no more than 10 yards chin on the deck) to know how capable they are, with a hmr I would keep the shots within a hundred yards, but being as I dont have one, and use the .243 for all my foxing, it is not something I have to worry about.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently your .22lr and 17HMR are conditioned for Vermin and AOLQ.   Fox are vermin, but even if you are not happy with that, I would like to see anybody argue they are not AOLQ?

Yeah as CC said, some counties won't grant any rimfire for Fox.   Personally I see that as an advantage.

I have been using a .17 HMR fox close range fox work for the last 3 years. We only use the hmr to about 70yards at tops for foxes. Never had one move an inch with a clean shot to the base of the ea

Posted Images

I know of a few blokes that day in day out comfortably shoot foxes out past 150 with the HMR. It may be a tiny pill but if you can shoot you wont have any dramas knocking down foxes. We have a $10 bounty on foxes here in the state of Victoria in Australia, and a fella I know has cashed in over $3500 worth of fox scalps and all he uses his his HMR. A Savage thumbhole to be precise.

I much rather using my .243 instead of the HMR, but it all depends on what property I am hunting on and the safety precautions.

Fair play mate, whatever works for you, to be honest a safe shot for a .17hmr is a safe shot for a .243, or pretty much anything else, no backstop, no shot, I guess if that guy has shot all those foxes with his hmr, he will be very experienced with it, so minimalising the risk of wounding, I wish we had a £10 bounty on foxes here, well actually no I dont because ther would be none left, but you know what I mean :thumbs:

Its absolutely ridiculous, who is to say what is short range compared with long, I consider a 150 yard shot at fox with my .243 a relatively short range shot, but with an hmr I would consider it downright cruel, so who sets the parameters and goalposts? it really is time these stupid conditions were scrapped, they serve no purpose at all, except as far as I can see to help justify some feos position, because he or she is seen to be acting proactively, crazy.

:yes::thumbs:

Mate the little HMR is plenty enough for foxes. I have one and so do thousands of other Aussies over here, as long as you can shoot straight and put the little pill into the vitals the fox will be dead before it hits the ground. Keep shots within 100 150 max and it does the job just fine. My best with the HMR is 220 yards, it was a flukey shot but not that I tell that to people when I tell them hahahah.

The HMR was designed for thin skinned critters within 150 yards.

As I say many times, this will be down to situation and experience. I have taken numerous foxes passed 100 yards with a HMR, and plenty of bunnies passed 150 yards with it. On that basis there is a logical argument to suggest 150+ yard foxes are ok, but for whatever reason, I tend to stay a little short of that on foxes! Just the way I want it! :thumbs:

Be that as it may, I consider a 150 yard shot too far with a .17 hmr, there are far far better tools out there, the venerable .22 hornet being one of them, it may be ok in still conditions but with that tiny bullet that has lost a lot of energy @150 yards, in windy conditions there is just too much chance of wounding, I flattened enough foxes @150-200 yards with a hornet without a single runner (well no more than 10 yards chin on the deck) to know how capable they are, with a hmr I would keep the shots within a hundred yards, but being as I dont have one, and use the .243 for all my foxing, it is not something I have to worry about.

I hear what you say and I'm not defending anyone, I'm not Personally easy with 150 yards fox with the HMR, but then again where do we stop with the .243, etc.? I have probably taken a handful over 300 yards (.223/.243) but I know 100% a pal dealt with them at 400yards +, and of course there are anecdotal stories much further...is that cruel/irresponsible, where do we call a halt?

Tricky, and just thinking out loud really! :thumbs:

20130829_191158_zps435a91b0.jpg

Elliott you are breaking the law SIGN your certificate :icon_eek::icon_eek:

At the end of the day what your FAO says goes. As he has told you what you can shoot with what calibre. May be not the best round for foxing but every body to there own. I like my .243 WSSM for foxing as it just makes a bloody great mess of them doesn't matter if they are 75 yards or 275 yards they are dead.

Elliott you are breaking the law SIGN your certificate :icon_eek::icon_eek:

Yep. They WILL give you a written warning of prosecution as a minimum for that when you come to renew it (assuming it doesn't get discovered before).

Calm down lads, that photo was taken when it arrived back from having the foxing condition added to it. Look at the date in the top right corner :) Edited by Elliott

Not sure what the date has to do with it......my last Club FAC went the whole term and I forgot to sign it, pointed out to me by my FEO at renewal, who kindly turned his back as I grabbed the pen! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeah well I got a written warning of prosecution and mine just sat in the drawer for the whole term. Never even bought ammo.

So be careful as some forces aren't understanding.

Edited by Alsone

Well, that's the sort of thing that pisses off people, simple mistake and a prosecution warning, seems way ott though!!!

My region have made NUMEROUS mistakes on my personal FAC and SGC and Club FAC over the years, at one point issuing me an AUTOMATIC Shotgun (not Semi).

Perhaps they should concentrate in getting their own house in order, and when THEY are perfect they may have a case against others!

• Like 2

Not sure what the date has to do with it......my last Club FAC went the whole term and I forgot to sign it, pointed out to me by my FEO at renewal, who kindly turned his back as I grabbed the pen! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Oh dear. The picture was taken after recieving the Cert back from having the condition added, that's what the date has to do with it. It was signed five minutes after.

Edited by Elliott