Urgetn Advice Needed - Sick Lurcher

Hey All

I've got a two year old saluki cross grey. Normally very energetic and happy dog.

I Saturday whilst out for a walk and playing with the other pup, she pulled up and wretched a few times. Then on the rest of the walk she stayed by my side and just walked, which is very unlike here.

Come Sunday evening she had become very lethargic and was having difficulty getting up or moving. She would cry when needing to move.

I was concerned she had possible twisted her gut or maybe had something lodged in her stomach or bowel so took her straight to the out of hours vets. She hadn't been to the toilet or pee'd since the Saturday walk.

Her temp was very high at 105 degrees. Vet diagnosed her with a virus and treated her with anti-inflammatories and antibiotics and asked us to visit our normal vet the next day.

Monday we were at the vets and she was no better, infact probably a bit worse. They kept her in over night and put her on a drip. I collected her the next morning and she wasn't really any better, though she had toileted in the night.

It's now Thursday and she's just as bad. Been to the vets everyday since, yesterday they gave her a more potent antibiotic and anti-inflammatory which seemed to give her some relief but on for a short while.

She's been back in today as she's still just as bad. They have X-rayed her and given her an ultrasound which has shown nothing. Her bloods have all been fine. The vets seem to be a bit stumped and are now suggesting it could be some sort of immune disorder.

Can any one help at, has anyone experienced something similar?

Does sound like it's an infection either bacterial or viral but I'm no expert. If in doubt get a second opinion, although sometimes vets' can only agree that they have no idea what the problem is :thumbs:

5 vets' couldn't diagnose my dog's problem and treatment seemed to be more trial and error towards the end.

I will say this and it may seem a little strong but if this carries on for time with no diagnosis or improvement do what's right, don't drag it out like I did ;)

my mate had a pure saluki with the same symptoms you are mentioning, about 3 years ago he did all that you have done, the vets didnt have much idea in the end they decided his had an immune disorder, it died eventually,

apologies for this sounding blunt, i know its not nice to see your dog like this,

auto immune disorders are a bloody complicated job can show itself in many ways depending on the disorder . .but in my experience they tend to come on progressively but usually picked up with a blood test ,, . biggest problem with sick animals is dehydration .anyway hope the dogs comes right ;)

Id be inclined to see another vet and ask about SRM, ( clinical signs are characterised by episodes of profound spinal pain, depression, stiff gait and fever.)

Although it is mostly seen in beagles,whippets etc it has been seen in other breeds, unfortunately diagnoses is expensive

but personally if they dont know what is going on anyway i would be inclined to treat for SRM and go from there.

http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/genetics_researchsrm.html

Get some dioralyt mate, this will at least give your dog some nutrients and help perk it back up, it replaces lost fluids through dihorea and sickness in kids,...but I can't see it doing any harm to your dog

At least worth a try until you get a result from the vets