Should A Gun Dog Be Kept In A Kennel And Run?

Lookin at getting a springer for rough shooting and picking up at driven shoots, but it will also be considered a family pet and be allowed in the house when we're home.

Would it make any difference to how well the dog works etc if it slept indoors and had the free range of the garden during work hours (with kennel for shelter), rather than being locked in a kennel and run over night and during work hours

Lookin at getting a springer for rough shooting and picking up at driven shoots, but it will also be considered a family pet and be allowed in the house when we're home.

Would it make any difference to how well the dog works etc if it slept indoors and had the free range of the garden during work hours (with kennel for shelter), rather than being locked in a kennel and run over night and during work hours

it makes no difference apart from its good for a dog to have its own space and its handy when its covered in mud and crap to have somewhere other than the settee for it to clean itself up.

it makes no difference apart from its good for a dog to have its own space and its handy when its covered in mud and crap to have somewhere other than the settee for it to clean itself up.

What he said...

I think the other think I hear all the time is that they have much thicker coats if they live outside. When you look at my indoor Lab he has such a thin coat even now in November compared to any of the outdoor dogs.

Just don't let the kids play fetch with it or the missus. With the best will in the world they will undo months of training in minutes.For example a couple of months ago My missus was telling me how much my big pointer enjoyed playing with one of those squeaky tennis balls !!! Fortunately no harm done but who knows what might have happened

Hi lads, I am in the same scenario as we speak! Just got a springer pup 7wks and would love to work him in future, so I was wondering if you guys had any do's and donts in the early stages as I have full intentions of keeping him in house but have full cooperation for the missus to find a balance of work and pet? Any info will be gratefully welcomed, cheers

Having had spaniels in and out of the house I would never have one live in now. I don't mind my dog coming in for a bit of contact on an evening and a snooze by the fire, but I find they settle easily in their own kennel space...........and it stops the mrs moaning about the mud, hair and smell lol

We to have just got a pup (lab) that will work , it lives in with another working lab & a working (retired) Lakeland ,the thing in the earlier post about coats is I think spot on , they continually moult where before they lived outside they didn't .My wife cant bare the thought of them outside plus we have a couple of mates that had the kennels broke into & lost there dogs , so its hair every where , happy wife , happy dogs ...

I have 4 fully working cockers and all kept as family pets to while not working nothing wromg with it and they all first class why should your dog miss out on day to day life and be locked up

I have 4 fully working cockers and all kept as family pets to while not working nothing wromg with it and they all first class why should your dog miss out on day to day life and be locked up

Just out of interest, are they pedigree, tuned up specimens, or just happy every day dogs?

Cheers.