Best Colour For A First Training Dummy

For decades, scientists believed dogs could only see in monochrome and used brightness levels - whether something looked lighter or darker next to another object - to identify outlines of items.

However, last year scientist Jay Neitz from the University of Washington, carried out experiments on dogs to test this theory.

Human eyes have three 'cones' that detect colour and can identify red, blue, green and yellow wavelengths created by light entering the eye.

Neitz discovered that dogs only have two cones - this means they can distinguish blue and yellow, but not red and green.

This is the same spectrum seen by humans when they have colourblindness.

• Like 2

In a nut shell mate in colourblindness orange and green virtually are seen as the same colour so an orange dummy in green grass really hard for dogs to distinguish.

This sounds right to me. I use white, orange, and black/white. I've been led to believe, and never researched, that dogs see orange as white. But my wirehair seems to see the black/white ones the best. The others he finds by nose it seems.

ATB

A good post for everybody to read..

Basically green is more or less blind to a dog..that is why, when I'm running,working and training a dog I will wear light colours,it has more significance when you are handling dogs at great distances...That's why you see Handlers mainly at retriever trials wearing light caps,training vests and even turquoise jackets,white hankies are used when giving direction commands to allow the dogs to pick you out better..

But getting back to a pup retrieving,try wrapping some white gaffer tape round your dummy,it will just give that little extra to catch the dogs eye...But always think about the background also.

Stick in......

And to sort of second the point a lot of Americans wear camo in green and fluorescent orange as the orange is a similar colour to green to animals but Is great for safety when wondering in vast areas that there may be more than one hunter in. And yes Micky I have the same with my labs, if I'm practicing retrieves they have to scent for the ball because it must really blend in.

It's great to see them cross over the path the ball has rolled and catch the smell, they turn on a 6pence haha.

• 2 weeks later...

And to sort of second the point a lot of Americans wear camo in green and fluorescent orange as the orange is a similar colour to green to animals but Is great for safety when wondering in vast areas that there may be more than one hunter in. And yes Micky I have the same with my labs, if I'm practicing retrieves they have to scent for the ball because it must really blend in.

It's great to see them cross over the path the ball has rolled and catch the smell, they turn on a 6pence haha.

Don`t want to pour water on your training with balls but,how does this replicate hunting for game....?