Mystery Smell, Well Horrendous Stink Actually.

Every now and again we get a horrendous smell appearing from somewhere in our utility room. There are 2 sinks, a toilet and the gas boiler in there, and the smell doesn't appear to be coming from any of these individually, more of a general stink in the room.

I have had my head in all kinds of places trying to pin point it, but it's just kinda there.

There would also be the waste pipe for the washing machine in there, but again, no apparent 'source'

Boiler was new 2 years ago and was only 'serviced' last month, so kinda ruled it out.

Anyone got any ideas?

And no, it doesn't just appear after someones been on the pot! :tongue2:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it's sulphur smell ,,, it's easy to I.D,,,,your house is possessed ,,,,, you need an exorcism .....

Denis Nielsons ,s neighbours had the same type of problem with smells , do you see people enter next door , but never see them leave ?

The smell ain't following you around is it? Lol

Sounds like one of the traps to sink or washing machine are emptying, could be through lack of use of one ,water in trap evaporates. Or suction of one can empty another if there all connected to same pipe.It can be hard to tell where it's coming from once its there,if the pipe from washing machine goes into a 1 1/2 pipe make sure you have it well taped with insulation tape.

• Like 1

Are all the waste pipes T'd into the toilet pipe

Not sure,

I'd have to go and look at the photos we took whilst the extension was being built I suppose.

It's only been up for 2 or 3 years, but sometimes this happens.

Doesn't seem to be no rhyme nor reason to it.

Toilet used /Flushed Daily, sinks likewise, washing machine never seems to be off.

Have filled sinks with water, but haven't taped up the 'overflows' yet to see if they could be the source....forgot about them.. :icon_redface:

take ur traps off under your sink make sure they are clear you will most likely have some shit in one that's causing it .

I'll give that a go :thumbs:

Whilst repairing the upstairs plug pivot type thingy-ma-dooda, I had the waste pipes off and I was blaming toothpaste for the accummulation of crap that was in there! They haven't been in long atall!!

Not impossible now that the kids can handle the toothpaste tube themselves :D

Guest norseman

where does the main soil pipe run? does it travel straight through the wall or run in the cavity? ive heard of ones leaking inside the cavity wall before :bad: hopefully its nothing that serious.

• Like 1

where does the main soil pipe run? does it travel straight through the wall or run in the cavity? ive heard of ones leaking inside the cavity wall before :bad: hopefully its nothing that serious.

Na, It's out through the wall, fairly sure.

But even thogh, why just sometimes? It can be ok for days / weeks even, then we get a spell of it?

F**KING annoying.......and stinkin'!