Anyone Help Identify This

aye up

looks just like a old hammer gun i used to own , mine had the makers name knight , got rid of mine because it was deemed unsafe to use and needed the room in my cabinet for a new gun , what do the barrels look like

shergar

the barrels arent with it, going to have a better look for them tomorrow in the light incase they have fallen down a cavity in the wall or something. It must have been stashed where I found it at least 25 years.

Some of it is cleaning up quite well

Great little find that mate, really interested to find out what it is and age and things. Keep the updates coming and pics too.

Will keep them coming mate,

I'm still not convinced with who made it. From the pictures I've found of the American Gun company's old sbs it looks like they have a pretty distinctive design on the hammers that this one doesnt have

like this

http://www.gunlistings.org/ohio-gun-classifieds/akron__canton/shotguns/151775/american_gun_co_hammer_gun_28ga_28_side_by_side

By the look of the wood to metal fit it looks like it might be reasonable quality, does it have barrels?If so what are they like, condition wise? Ahhh just seen the bit where you said no barrels, doh, good luck finding them mate.

Edited by charlie caller

Great little find that mate, really interested to find out what it is and age and things. Keep the updates coming and pics too.

me too, i'de like to see it when it's cleaned up and hopefully put back together if you find the barrels, and try find the age of it,,, (hope you do find barrels mate,)

Thanks all, for the most part it has cleaned up fairly well. There are some spots where the rust has breached some of the metals surface so I dont think they will fully polish out not without sanding it back anyway.

I will be round the farm later today so will have a good look for the barrels, if they have fallen down a cavity in the wall they wont be retrievable though and even if they were they would be knackered I would imagine as it's very damp.

I will try take it in to an RFD once I have it squared with the FEO and see what the chances are of getting a new set of barrels for it or an old set from another old gun. If i can get some barrels that just about fit probably the best case scenario is that it will end up being deactivated and as an ornament/feature unless I can find the original barrels and they are in a reasonable condition.

Looking through gun trader, I do really like the old hammer guns, I may have to treat myself to one if I cant get this one sorted safely

I love hammer guns, there is just something about them, I have a Baikal 16 bore hammer gun and it shoots great.

Same here.

I have not managed to find the barrels yet, there is a chance they have fallen further down the cavity wall than I can reach (I will have another look with a mirror type contraption) but its looking like without the barrels or being able to identify the type of gun to replace the barrels this may end up being destined to be a deactivated ornament.

I will be getting an old hammer gun though when its next time to treat myself!