The History Of The Whippet

The Whippet is a breed of dog in the sighthound family. They

are active and playful and are physically similar to a small greyhound.

Appearance

Whippets are a medium-size dog averaging in weight from 25

to 40 lb (11–18 kg), with height of 18.5 - 20 inches (47 - 51 cm) for males and 17.5–18.5 inches (44–47 cm) for females.. they come in a wide variety of colours and marking patterns, everything from solid black to solid white, with red, fawn, brindle, blue, or cream. All manner of spots and blazes and patches are seen, sometimes all in the same litter.

Temperament

Whippets are generally quiet and gentle dogs, and may be content to spend much of the day resting. Although especially attached to their owners, they are friendly to visitors. They are not prone to snapping, so they are good with young children. Because of their friendly nature, whippets are known to have been used in aged care facilities.They may bark when strangers arrive but are not suited to being guard dogs. They do, however, tend to attack cats that stray into their territory, unless they have been raised with cats.

Unlike some other breeds, male whippets are as easy to housebreak as females. Male whippets are also as unaggressive as female whippets. Males are sometimes considered to be slightly more loyal and enjoy repetitive play. Females can be a little more complex, moody and strong-willed. Males tend to be one to two inches taller and three to six pounds heavier than female

Whippets are not well-adapted for living in a kennel, or as outside dogs. Their coats do not provide insulation to with stand prolonged periods in cold temperatures. Their natural attachment to people makes them happiest when kept indoors. They are most at home in the company of their owners—in their lap or lying next to them on the lounge. Whippets are quiet and thus well suited to apartment life, although like all dogs they need regular, healthy exercise. The chance to run free in open spaces should be made available to the whippet; however care should be taken with whippets on the street as it is difficult to instill any sort of traffic sense into them.

Whippets have been called a "poor man's racehorse." As their heritage would suggest, whippets are outstanding running dogs and are top competitors in lure coursing, straight racing, and oval track racing. Typically in these events, a temporary track and lure system is set up. The lure is usually a white plastic trash bag, sometimes in conjunction with a "squawker" to simulate a sort of prey sound or with a small piece of animal pelt. With the advent of new methods in motivational obedience training being used, whippets are becoming successful obedience dogs. Many enjoy flyball and agility.

Health

Given proper nutrition, exercise, and veterinary care, most whippets live for 12 to 15 years. They are generally healthy, and are not prone to the frequent ear infections, skin allergies, or digestive problems that can afflict other breeds. Genetic eye defects, though quite rare, have been noted in the breed. . Hip dysplasia is unknown in whippets. Undescended testicles are common in the breed. Like most sighthounds, they are intolerant to barbiturate anesthetics.

The heart of a whippet is large and slow beating, often being arrhythmic or even intermittent when the animal is at restThis sometimes causes concern to the owner, or to the vet not experienced with the breed. Whippets will, however, demonstrate a regular heartbeat during exercise.

A Whippet owner should take notice that Whippets are, just like other sighthounds, sensitive to a number of anesthetics. This may be due to their low concentration of body fat. Any Whippet should have a sighthound-knowledgeable veterinarian

History

Whippets were bred to hunt by sight, coursing game in open areas at high speeds. One can find numerous representations of small greyhound-like hounds in art dating back to Roman times but the first written English use of the word "whippet" with regard to a type of dog was in 1610. There is a picture by Jean Baptiste Oudry (1686–1755) of "Misse", one of two English whippets presented to Louis XV, in the Washington National Gallery and another, with her companion, "Turlu", by the same artist in the Musée National de Fontainebleau. However, some French sources, notably the Ministry of Culture, use the word "levrette" to describe Misse and Turlu. Levrette translates as "female greyhound". In the nineteenth century, whippet racing was a national sport in England, more popular than football. It is only beginning with this period that the existence of the whippet as a distinct breed can be stated with certainty. The age of the modern whippet dawned in 1890 when the English Kennel Club granted the breed official recognition, thus making the whippet eligible for competition in dog shows, and commencing the recording of their pedigrees. In the United States, the whippet was recognized in 1888 by the American Kennel Club. Early specimens were taken from the race track by dog fanciers of the time and exported all over the world. The whippet's versatility as a hunting, racing, exhibition or companion dog soon made it one of the most popular of the sighthound breeds.

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom
  • Like 4

What VersionhelpIcon.gif
closeIcon.gif Legislation is available in different versions:

Latest Available (revised):The latest available updated version of the legislation incorporating changes made by subsequent legislation and applied by our editorial team. Changes we have not yet applied to the text, can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area.

Original (As Enacted or Made):The original version of the legislation as it stood when it was enacted or made. No changes have been applied to the text.

• Latest available (Revised)
  • Original (As enacted)
Advanced FeatureshelpIcon.gif
closeIcon.gif See additional information alongside the content

Geographical Extent: Indicates the geographical area that this provision applies to. For further information see ‘Frequently Asked Questions’.

Show Timeline of Changes: See how this legislation has or could change over time. Turning this feature on will show extra navigation options to go to these specific points in time. Return to the latest available version by using the controls above in the What Version box.

Opening OptionsExpand opening optionshelpIcon.gif
closeIcon.gif Opening Options

Different options to open legislation in order to view more content on screen at once

closeIcon.gif Print Options
Changes to legislation:

There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.uk editorial team to Control of Greyhounds etc. Act (Northern Ireland) 1950. Any changes that have already been made by the team appear in the content and are referenced with annotations.helpIcon.gif

closeIcon.gif Changes to Legislation

Revised legislation carried on this site may not be fully up to date. Changes and effects are recorded by our editorial team in lists which can be found in the ‘Changes to Legislation’ area. Where those effects have yet to be applied to the text of the legislation by the editorial team they are also listed alongside the legislation in the affected provisions. Use the ‘more’ link to open the changes and effects relevant to the provision you are viewing.

apni.gif

N.I.

Control of Greyhounds etc. Act (Northern Ireland) 1950 F1 1950 CHAPTER 13

An Act to provide for the muzzling and control of greyhounds in public places; to restrict the number of greyhounds which may be exercised or led by any one person in a public place; and for purposes connected with the matters aforesaid.

[27th June 1950]

Annotations:helpIcon.gif
closeIcon.gif

Annotations are used to give authority for changes and other effects on the legislation you are viewing and to convey editorial information. They appear at the foot of the relevant provision or under the associated heading. Annotations are categorised by annotation type, such as F-notes for textual amendments and I-notes for commencement information (a full list can be found in the Editorial Practice Guide). Each annotation is identified by a sequential reference number. For F-notes, M-notes and X-notes, the number also appears in bold superscript at the relevant location in the text. All annotations contain links to the affecting legislation.

F1Saved by 1981 NI 1

1Greyhounds not to be in a public place unless controlled and muzzled.N.I.

(1)A person shall not exercise or lead or cause or permit to be exercised, led or at large a greyhound in any street, road, highway or other public place or in any place to which the public have or are permitted to have access, other than[F2 premises on which dog trials take place or a track on which dog races of any description take place and for which a track betting licence within the meaning of the Betting, Gaming, Lotteries and Amusements (Northern Ireland) Order 1985 is in force]F2, unless such greyhound is both under control and muzzled.

(2)Any person who acts in contravention of any of the foregoing provisions of this section shall be guilty of an offence under this Act.

closeIcon.gif

Annotations are used to give authority for changes and other effects on the legislation you are viewing and to convey editorial information. They appear at the foot of the relevant provision or under the associated heading. Annotations are categorised by annotation type, such as F-notes for textual amendments and I-notes for commencement information (a full list can be found in the Editorial Practice Guide). Each annotation is identified by a sequential reference number. For F-notes, M-notes and X-notes, the number also appears in bold superscript at the relevant location in the text. All annotations contain links to the affecting legislation.

F21985 NI 11

2Restriction on number of greyhounds which may be exercised or led in a public place.N.I.

(1)A person shall not exercise or lead, or cause or permit to be exercised or led by any one person, more than two greyhounds in any street, road, highway or other public place, or in any place to which the public have or are permitted to have access, other than[F3 such premises or track mentioned in section 1(1)]F3.

(2)Any person who acts in contravention of any of the foregoing provisions of this section shall be guilty of an offence under this Act.

closeIcon.gif

F31985 NI 11

3Penalties.N.I.

Any person guilty of an offence under this Act shall be liable, on summary conviction,F4... to a fine not exceeding[F5 £200]F4..., or to imprisonment for any period not exceeding three months, or to both such fine and such imprisonment.

closeIcon.gif

F41984 NI 3

F51983 NI 8

4Liability of owner for injury caused by greyhound.N.I.

(1)The owner of any greyhound shall be liable in damages for any injury caused by such greyhound by reason of the contravention of any of the provisions of section one or section two of this Act, and it shall not be necessary for the person seeking such damages to prove thatF6... the owner knew of such previous propensity, or that the injury was attributable to neglect on the part of the owner.

(2)The provisions of the preceding sub-section shall not prejudice or affect any other right to recover damages for any injury caused by any greyhound.

closeIcon.gif

F61983 NI 8

5Savings.N.I.

(1)The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to and not in derogation of the provisions of any enactment relating to dogs.

(2)Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of the preceding sub-section, nothing in this Act shall prevent the pursuing and killing of hares by coursing with greyhounds outside the boundaries of any county borough, borough or urban district.

6Interpretation.N.I.

(1)In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, the following expressions have the meanings hereby assigned to them:—

• “contravention” includes, in relation to any provision, a failure to comply with that provision;

• “enactment” includes any provision contained in or having effect under any Act of the Parliament of Northern Ireland or of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or of the Irish Parliament;

• greyhound” includes any greyhound or whippet and any breed, strain, or cross thereof;

• “muzzled”, in relation to any greyhound, means wearing any device so constructed and affixed as to prevent that greyhound from biting or otherwise injuring any human being or other animal;

• “under control” in relation to any greyhound means led by a chain, cord or other efficient leash held by a person exercising proper control over such greyhound.

Subs. (2) rep. by 1954 c. 33 (NI)

7Short title.N.I.

This Act may be cited as the Control of Greyhounds, etc., Act (Northern Ireland), 1950

2Restriction on number of greyhounds which may be exercised or led in a public place.N.I.

(1)A person shall not exercise or lead, or cause or permit to be exercised or led by any one person, more than two greyhounds in any street, road, highway or other public place,

greyhound” includes any greyhound or whippet and any breed, strain, or cross thereof;

• “muzzled”, in relation to any greyhound, means wearing any device so constructed and affixed as to prevent that greyhound from biting or otherwise injuring any human being or other animal;

• “under control” in relation to any greyhound means led by a chain, cord or other efficient leash held by a person exercising proper control over such greyhound.

I was pulled by dog warden more than once I now muzzle my dogs yet I have met a woman walking tree German shepherds she could not have controlled the dogs had they wanted to go at my dogs or any person for that matter This law is a disgrace and needs reviewed

• Like 1

'I was pulled by dog warden more than once I now muzzle my dogs yet I have met a woman walking tree German shepherds she could not have controlled the dogs had they wanted to go at my dogs or any person for that matter This law is a disgrace and needs reviewed.'

I agree. I was talking to a UK Kennel Club official from the mainland recently who was surprised to hear of this legislation whilst visiting Northern Ireland. He asked me what i understood by this law........so he certainly heard my opinion......that it was an outdated load of rubbish and that there was a whole lot worse than greys/whippets/lurchers on the streets these days.

(1)A person shall not exercise or lead, or cause or permit to be exercised or led by any one person, more than two greyhounds in any street, road, highway or other public place,

greyhound” includes any greyhound or whippet and any breed, strain, or cross thereof;

I was pulled by dog warden more than once I now muzzle my dogs yet I have met a woman walking tree German shepherds she could not have controlled the dogs had they wanted to go at my dogs or any person for that matter This law is a disgrace and needs reviewed

Sammy I could have understood the dog warden pulling you if you'd have been walking my big fella, :D:D but not your pretty wee thing.The law is an ass!! I walk four with no muzzles and I can assure you, any dog warden that stops me not only will end up with no top row but will need a career change too :yes::angel: .My dogs are always on leads in public but I don't know how many times ive had other peoples dogs that were running free, aggressivly charge at mine only to get my size nine in its bake. Them wee handbag fookers (usually with a name like tiddles) can be the worst for aggression. Useless excuses for dogs, be better used as ferret food ffs .By the way Sammy next time im lifted will you be my solicitor? How da fook did you get all that info :D:D

Graham would not recomend me being your brief as I set out to prove to the warden the whippet was NOT Guilty and Not included in the muzzel law

All the evidence I found proved the whippet guilty

In short If I was repesenting you bring your shaving kit to the court.

kiss whippets and pet the wife good bye LOL

Sounds like a plan mate, could do with a break from cleaning dog runs, cleaning ferrets out, working from 6 am till late. Listening to her and the kids. Magaberry looks like a better deal sitting in my cell with a remote control in my shorts and flip flops and a bar of wholenut and a cuppa. :thumbs::D:D