Tough Spot To Ferret?

Polkey

I have a new permission and one area is a very substantial hedge that is mainly brambles and as you would imagine still full of nettles. At its deepest it is probs about 8-10ft each side with small trees and very dense and impenetrable. It runs for at least 400 + yards with out any breaks in it. There are dozens of runs but the farmer says they tend to congregate around one end which includes a large pile of logs/trunks about 10 feet long in amongst the brambles. There is a fence in the middle running the length of the hedge and a drainage trench about a foot and a half deep running the length to. I have never had to ferret such a place and was looking for the best approach. Its clearly riddled with rabbits and the farmer wants them gone. I was thinking of breaking it down into sections and using the long net but obviously can only use it on on side at a time and thought I could put purse nets over the runs on the other side?. Im concerned that the ferrets will get the run around to in such a large dense area. ANY advise would be welcome as this one is a challenge!

There are dozens of runs .....

And that's where you'll set your wires ;)

yep like said set the snares mate, other than that try and make a few lines/ sections - get rid of the brambles or what ever a few days before you plan on ferreting it, use longnets gate nets ect but would be alot easier if you had another pair of hands aswel ! good luck with it though :thumbs: ATB FTS

If the farmer wants them gone,,, he could help by getting in with the hedge cutter on the tractor,,,, although sometimes the fallen twigs and branches can make it worse,,,

I would be tempted to get the strimer,, and cut channels evry 20 yard or so and long net it,,, but you need a good few pairs of hands to help with the ferreting,,, like you said net all the runs...

At the end of the day it down to preparation ,,, befor you ferret it,,, your going to have to do some kind of clearance work,,, failing that use the other methods of control , in the above posts

• Like 6

These types of jobs are the bread and butter of a paid ferreter....we encounter such god-awful places on a regular basis...There is nothing to be done,.other than to buckle down,.get enough ferrets on the go, and run out plenty of long nets/stop nets, etc,..and get the task,.done and dusted...Obviously we would all love to steer clear of such areas,..but as we all know,..where there is 'bramble',.there is money... :laugh:

Don't fear that old hedge Polkey,...just give it hell.. :thumbs:

DSC_0213.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 3

Sounds like the sort of hedges we do :laugh:

As above, cut it into sections, short longnets across the sections and place large purse nets or poke nets in the runs, you won't get at all the holes but the rabbits will use the obvious runs between them cut these off and you should do ok...

Anything a bit big is a couple of people job

Sometimes you've just got to get stuck in :laugh:

IMG_1746.jpg

• Like 3