Which Gun... For 15Year Old??....

A friend of the family.... is looking to buy his 15 year old lad.... an air rifle...

The lad has got a good head on him... sensible...

The lads into lurcherwork..catapults etc....

But hes wanting to get him an air rifle to use around and about...for rabbits...rats... pigeons...crows etc...

Not looking at silly money...

Just a half decent gun that will do the job...

Any suggestions please?

When I was that age I brought an smk19. It was light and accurate. Alot of people slate the smks but a few of them are good. Well the rabbits didn't seem to care that it was an smk that killed them. Also the smk19 is very easy to work on if it ever goes wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Atb

Ian

• Like 1

SMK are fekin shite avoid at all costs

Wish I`d known, I`ve just sold a cracker

Theres plenty out there, and a few for sale on here,

Anything bar SMK, Hatsan ,Crossman , Benjamin, all that crap

Stick with air arms, webley (even better if its old), Weirauch, BSA (again even better if its old)

Surprised the smk gets a bad review my first gun was a smk think it cost me 50 quid new it was fine for a starter gun cheap and cheerfull were abouts is the lad from bpr I've got an old weirauch here if he wants it it ain't prtty needs a scope as well and a good clean but he can have it

• Like 2

Surprised the smk gets a bad review my first gun was a smk think it cost me 50 quid new it was fine for a starter gun cheap and cheerfull were abouts is the lad from bpr I've got an old weirauch here if he wants it it ain't prtty needs a scope as well and a good clean but he can have it

You cant get eny cheaper than that and a weirauch to boot top rifles no mater witch one it is top lad for offering this atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Superb offer there mate. Pm sent :thumbs: ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a couple of guns.

A webley valuemax .177 it's a good size, light and well balanced, my daughter can shoot it nicely. Cost was listed i my gunshop at £110. i paid £120 gun, hawke scope mounts and a tin of accupells.

On my second visit i looked for a gun for my son a twiggy little fella of 18.

We decided on a second hand Webley Omega .22. Which has a nice comfortable feel, is a good weight, has lovely balance ad is i goooood nick. Price £199 but it was also fitted with a braided leather sling, silencer, 3-9x40 wide angle scope.

it is also ultra smooth, silent cocking with just a nice click at lock out, shoots nice and is about 1/2 as loud as my 77.

all can be seen in the "my Arsenal" post

buying 'kids' a 'make do for kids' riffle is sooooooo cheap skate lol get him a real one! saves years in waisted time.

HW 80, theyre heavey but last donkies years (full barrel) then he can find the distance too. even the open sights with the lolli pop slide on the for sight are very accurate indeed.

get a v match kit or some such in it, after about 4-5 months, he'll love the improvent.

(start off on opens till he finds the pellet hole closer too, then pop on a scope like 4x32 or 4x40, after that he'll have a feel what he wants, the opens teach you what you cant buy with a scope..perseption of trajectry or 'where the pellets at, scopes just add distance and veiw afterwoulds).

s200's are good

rapids..

s410's..

loadsa folks think 'ahhh first gun, i had a whatever crap gun when i was kid it was great fun'...truth is we all went off shooting after chucking lead some where near the targets lol.

the open sights are good for how ever far you can see..good learning curve

the 3x32's break you into the 30-40 yard mark nicley keeping the scope low keeps the near too with a flatter tragectry (especialy in .177)

the 4x40's your out to 50 yards..after that the zooms and parralexs come in.

doing the other way, well...big scope all the gadgets has two draw backs, nothing to improve too, and yu lose yu gut feel that you get on the opens.

just a though like....theres only one run at it, ten years later its just toooo late lol.

Edited by ghillies