I'm looking for someone local to me who is willing to sell me entire rabbits and the like, as I want to feed them to my dogs. I realise I can get them from a butcher, but they have this habit of skinning them, and taking the heads off. I kinda want the whole thing.

I'm in the Whitehaven area of Cumbria, and so if anyone can help, I'm interested. Obviously the rabbits need to be disease free, as I want to feed them to the dogs. If you can help, please either reply here, or drop me a PM.

Cheers :D

Why would you feel the need to feed the skin mate? Shaun

Dogs can eat the whole thing, they start by ripping open the gut to eat all the soft innards and stomach contents which kick off digestion, and work their way through and out, finishing with the bones and fur which clean their teeth. :)

Dogs can eat the whole thing, they start by ripping open the gut to eat all the soft innards and stomach contents which kick off digestion, and work their way through and out, finishing with the bones and fur which clean their teeth. :)

Are you a mad man ............

Are you a mad man ............

No a Mad Woman :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

• Like 2

Firstly - I'm a mad woman, as someone else correctly put it. Secondly, I have two bullbreed dogs, a bull mastiff and a bull dog.

Thirdly, what on earth do you think feral dogs eat out in the wild, biscuits? ;) Domesticated dogs can eat precisely the same. The upside is that I can take steps to make sure the entire prey is safe for them to eat first.

I have been feeding my dogs on the Raw/BARF diet for a long time. They are the healthiest they have ever been. Such diets can and do include entire prey animals, such as rabbits, squirrels, game, if it can be caught, they can eat it. Many hardcore raw/prey feeders will freeze rabbits first to kill off any nasty stuff that's present in the gut, and then slice open the gut, and hand it to their dog.

I don't want to feed dry dog mix, because A.) even the best stuff has things in it that I don't want my dogs eating, and B.) because there's nothing out there that's going to rival the goodness - OR THE PRICE, of a raw diet. Literally a day after I joined this forum, an extremely lovely guy offered me a partial mutton carcass that he slayed the same morning. He kept some of it for his own foxhounds, and gave me the head, legs, shoulder/partial ribcage, heart and partial lungs. The best part other than it being pure goodness for my dogs? He kindly let me have it for nothing. Of course I will pay my way, and I normally do a monthly order from an abattoir in Durham, but I wanted to introduce entire prey to them. Lots of people do it, with incredible results. I might be considered mad, but then that'll be me, and the rest of the hardcore raw feeding loonies out there! :D

Firstly - I'm a mad woman, as someone else correctly put it. Secondly, I have two bullbreed dogs, a bull mastiff and a bull dog.

Thirdly, what on earth do you think feral dogs eat out in the wild, biscuits? ;) Domesticated dogs can eat precisely the same. The upside is that I can take steps to make sure the entire prey is safe for them to eat first.

I have been feeding my dogs on the Raw/BARF diet for a long time. They are the healthiest they have ever been. Such diets can and do include entire prey animals, such as rabbits, squirrels, game, if it can be caught, they can eat it. Many hardcore raw/prey feeders will freeze rabbits first to kill off any nasty stuff that's present in the gut, and then slice open the gut, and hand it to their dog.

I don't want to feed dry dog mix, because A.) even the best stuff has things in it that I don't want my dogs eating, and B.) because there's nothing out there that's going to rival the goodness - OR THE PRICE, of a raw diet. Literally a day after I joined this forum, an extremely lovely guy offered me a partial mutton carcass that he slayed the same morning. He kept some of it for his own foxhounds, and gave me the head, legs, shoulder/partial ribcage, heart and partial lungs. The best part other than it being pure goodness for my dogs? He kindly let me have it for nothing. Of course I will pay my way, and I normally do a monthly order from an abattoir in Durham, but I wanted to introduce entire prey to them. Lots of people do it, with incredible results. I might be considered mad, but then that'll be me, and the rest of the hardcore raw feeding loonies out there! :D

ive always fed raw but i wouldn't feed guts other than standard offal i add veg (i get free trimmings from lots of places for chickens) if i feel they need a bit adding. but i also feed pasta and rice (i get free cooked rice from a few places too) to bulk it out a bit. i used to get loads of broken digestive biscuits when they would give them away loads of dog lads used to use them, but raw meat and bones have always been a mainstay of my feeding normaly ,lamb and beef and as you know mutton

• Like 1

ive always fed raw but i wouldn't feed guts other than standard offal i add veg (i get free trimmings from lots of places for chickens) if i feel they need a bit adding. but i also feed pasta and rice (i get free cooked rice from a few places too) to bulk it out a bit. i used to get loads of broken digestive biscuits when they would give them away loads of dog lads used to use them, but raw meat and bones have always been a mainstay of my feeding normaly ,lamb and beef and as you know mutton

I have fed cooked rice before, with a raw egg specifically, shell and all, but not pasta, mainly because a lot of dogs are gluten intolerant, mine certainly are. It doesn't apply to all dogs of course, but my bulldog specifically has skin that flares up with the slightest hint of gluten.

Dogs can eat guts, it's where a lot of nutrition lies. It's where dogs get a source of greens from in the wild, from the stomachs of prey that eats grass etc. Green tripe is always a good seller for raw suppliers. :)

Well good luck anyway just wish more people would put as my h effort into keeping dogs as best they can

Hope everything goes ok with the illness

It won't kill me, it just feels like it some days. I'm considering rabbiting using ferrets, but I've a lot to learn first. Both my dogs are rescues that were fed on leftover food from market stalls, which was comprised of chips and burger leftovers for the most part. They were a mess, so I've had to undo their diet and build it back up properly. Raw seems the best way to go.