nuttall terriers

The size of Brians current terriers, mink hunting has been used as an excuse, I think the real reason for the small black terriers is the lure of the european and moreso American market, money money money...................

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orrrr she beautiful and would make a lovely Mam to her babies ??

?

??

Posted Images

Yes quite right, over sight on my behalf, Brian has exported to various parts of the world and on checking the web sites you can see the small type of terrier they have and seem to need for their type of work. On 1 site there is a breed standard from Brian, may have been Germany, possible America, cannot remember now, breed standard for a working terrier! Dont make me laugh, for all readers from all corners of the earth, here is a breed standard that Frank Spencer (see he is coming back to life!) has devised: Not necessarily in order of priority, short and sweet, MUST BE ABLE TO FIND, MUST STAY IF QUARRY REFUSES TO BOLT

Thats it,

size is of choice preference for the earths you work, colour, whose arsed, hard enough to get them to work to a high standard, they could be pink for all I care, when you can 100% guarantee, which I cannot, all your litter will make top dogs then you can be in a very fortunate position and can dictate your colour preference

Good Hunting and succesful thoughtful breeding to all

There are some tightly bred terriers of his old stuff about but finding suitable outcross is becoming harder .Noticable dog aggression in a lot of the stuff I know about !.Wouldnt entertain a pup direct from him now as fashion and money has swayed the path of work .To be honest ,the last outcross was to a Wheeler dog of tested history and the resulting litter will be tried this winter .Good luck to all this coming season .

Foxdropper .

Hi been out with brian nuttall when out with cheshire forest he has good dogs .He prefers smaller types because most of the foxes they dig have been pushed into tight rabbity earths when pressured by hounds.

Edited by senjo
I bet this article gets some replies!

God you cant half talk (or type) a lot :wallbash: never been out with the man but knows some one who has or owns a so called nuttall dog, don't we all :laugh:

we had two off him 25 years ago and they did everything that he said they would do. As for size he was saying the same then, both were 13 or under but more important could get anywhere.

One last thing you say hes a friend of yours :icon_eek: , friends should say it to your face not behind your back :thumbdown:

Hi been out with brian nuttall when out with cheshire forest he has good dogs .He prefers smaller types because most of the foxes they dig have been pushed into tight rabbity earths when pressured by hounds.

Well said Shay, Nuttal fan your a bit like Curtis Price to Plummer, I have dug in Cheshire, many places many times, there are rabbit holes like every area of this country and there will always be a time when the requirment for a pipe cleaning type terier will be required. You are getting away from the point, an average terrier on most ocassions will account for a fox in a rabbit warren come earth. Neither my terrier or Brians or any persons will be tested in rabbit earth type places, Brians terriers will not be tested these days with the Forest, they do not do enough digging there, by the way, dont say I dont know what I am talking about, 1 thing people hopefully have noticed in my short time on the site I only comment on what I know and factual, all my comments are genuine and not make believe, to prove it, heres another statement before every one go out to buy Brians terriers because as you would lead them to believe he is the terrier man for the Cheshires, he is not, the Watsons are the terrier men for both the Forset and the Cheshires and have been for a very long time, in their absence Brian will get a look in, however, I know they do not do a lot of digging, antis every week.

As for needing small terriers, you have portrayed your self as a novicem in ther geographical knowledge of types of setts in cheshire, what about the large disused setts in sand stone areas, clay and soil, I have worked some massive disused setts that a small lurcher could get in, what chance has Brians terriers got in them! Good to see Brian still getting out and about, loves what he is doing, but lets rewind back, we are talking about dealers and the verbal bull shit hthat has surrounded 1 terrier Smithy and the selling of inferior terriers that have been bred out of failures, buyer given his money back or another pup, no morals. Oh, lets talk bolting Hunt terriers! Enough shit talked on this, lets move on or Frank will come alive!

Enough talk of what the new stuff wont do .Anybody still keeping solid ,honest types of yesteryear.This is a type worthy of preservation and one of which i'm keen to locate fresh blood through the use of a proven stud dog .Something wrong with my uploading ,or i'd put up pic of what I mean .Archives will show you! .

foxdropper .

Well said Shay, Nuttal fan your a bit like Curtis Price to Plummer.....

your his friend, have worked your dogs in Cheshire, but never been out digging with him wonder why ? now why would that be ? :laugh: get out see his dogs work and then you can say you know it to be factual.

I've read a bit of this and then glanced at most of it.

The question of size will always be here, one size don't fit all and if Mr Nuttall, i don't know him at all so will give him the respect, his age and standing in the terrier world deserves, thinks that tiny ( not usefull sized ) terriers are the answer to controlling underground vermin then that is up to him. I saw one in a blokes kennels 6 years ago and was disturbed by the puny fecking thing, my 12" Border would have nearly made two of it and yet the bloke told me, and i have no reason to dispute him, that it worked 'cock on'.

The lads with the bigger terrier will say that their tyke can get anywhere as well, good for them.

If he sells pups far and wide, then that is up to him, if his punters weren't happy i am sure they would be back.

Interesting point somebody raised about his 'old stuff', quite rightly put right by somebody else, it is old and not used anymore, times have moved on and i'm sure that, if the people who raved about their stuff 30 years ago wanted to keep it going then they would have done so. Seems like we are looking for the holy grail again looking for something that has long turned to dust.

In theory, these Nuttall terriers of old were so good that everyone kept them and bred them, well we are seeing that is not the case otherwise there would be pictures all over this web site declaring the old stuff was alive and doing well .

Is this Mr Nuttall's fault then ? has he, a breeder of terriers let the working terrier world down by not breeding the same terriers he did 30 years ago ?

Or have the people who want to get hold of the same stuff they once had let themselves down, by not breeding worker to worker and relying on some bloke in Cheshire to pull stuff off the production line excactly the same ?

Interesting debate, i'm sure it will go on. :signthankspin:

Hello Shay/Darcy Yes, both comments very true, there is still plenty of working blood about, I know I give the russels a bit of stick but there are a few still knocking about, but to be honest I do not know of a line of workers, do you?

Don't think theres THAT many white digging dogs in england..... :icon_redface: i spent a long time looking for them but they not as common as blacks and other patts.....as for "pure" russells, i beleive what i see, i did hear of one line but i soon realised they were all doubled up. I once dug a fox with a lads russell and it did ok, but the next week we dug it and we were 6 foot off! And this is his "main" stud dog......:icon_eek: Like i say, beleive what you see...not what you hear or read IMHO....especially so with terriers... :boxing: