nuttall terriers

interesting observation,i have a bitch from brian nuttall,she is just over 14inch,the dog i got from him is just under 11inch,17ilb, my mate,has the litter mate of my bitch 14inch,and well over 20ilbs,heavy strong dog. i bred a litter from my two dogs,and i had 5 heavy dogs and 3 small dogs. at 8 weeks old,the heaviest dog was 4.2kg,the runt of the litter weighed 1.8kgso a big diffirence of 2.4kg,the dog has one season under his belt,and i have had no probs so far,

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orrrr she beautiful and would make a lovely Mam to her babies ??

?

??

Posted Images

hi there i am looking for sum info about nuttall terriers and a few pics if anyone can help cheers :drink:

thats a nice dog mate what age is it ?

he is 3 now mate and we have had no probz with him with the kids and he is a very good worker as well

That was a good read Mr1 :big_boss:

I dont know a great deal about B nuttal....... did he not do hunt terrier work? and just dig.....

Yes for the Cheshire Hunt approximatly 34 years ago, done 3 seasons before being replaced by Joe Shaw. Brian was a keeper for the then Hunt Master and this was his in road in to the Hunt as a terrierman (unpaid)

I am aware he is currently follwoing the Cheshire Forest but I am informed this Hunt does very little if any terier work now

Some sense spoken there Mr1, I have never gone for names myself, much rather breed between the lads out of working tackle, there are still good gene pools about but as you know they are kept tight and quiet. B)

Far too many people are more interested in the pound note than keeping the working qualities and abilities of the blood at top notch, Far too many people don't cull their stock either, in reality it is a small minority of people that strive to keep there blood true, not heavily outcrossed or scatter bred.

Like all the names you mentioned Mr1 (and most have heard of them) there will be a lot more that go that way too, who are the NAMES of todays terrier world, why have they got theirselves names, a lot of it comes from breeding or so I have found.

The best terriermen IMO are the ones that nobody knows, they are digging week in week out, testing and I mean testing their dogs, the dogs are bred off when pups are needed to come through the ranks and more often than not free of charge.

post-2180-1189077424_thumb.jpg

the dog on the left is typical nutall type,bull headed,smooth was very hard on quarry,had an average nose and messed about for england if there was nothing home,if you know what i mean in n out,wore it for 3 seasons and introduced it to half ounce of lead !

regards diggory :yes:

ps these pics are from the early nineties.

Some sense spoken there Mr1, I have never gone for names myself, much rather breed between the lads out of working tackle, there are still good gene pools about but as you know they are kept tight and quiet. B)

Far too many people are more interested in the pound note than keeping the working qualities and abilities of the blood at top notch, Far too many people don't cull their stock either, in reality it is a small minority of people that strive to keep there blood true, not heavily outcrossed or scatter bred.

Like all the names you mentioned Mr1 (and most have heard of them) there will be a lot more that go that way too, who are the NAMES of todays terrier world, why have they got theirselves names, a lot of it comes from breeding or so I have found.

The best terriermen IMO are the ones that nobody knows, they are digging week in week out, testing and I mean testing their dogs, the dogs are bred off when pups are needed to come through the ranks and more often than not free of charge.

:yes:

Interesting stuff always good to learn something....... :thumbs:

could the reason b nuttal bred a smaller terrier was that a fox would be more likely to bolt

I dont think a big dog that would block a fox from bolting or kill under ground would be of much use to a Hunt terrier man.......or hunt followers therefore wouldnt it be better to give a better chance of a bolt if the dog was of smaller

excuse my ignorance but it kind of make sence to me as a newbie :hmm:

Hello Shay/Darcy Yes, both comments very true, there is still plenty of working blood about, I know I give the russels a bit of stick but there are a few still knocking about, but to be honest I do not know of a line of workers, do you?

And yes you are right about the so called modern movie star terrier man, very surprising the names that are becoming more like Ginger French, Plummer, Nuttal, Middleton, Jonesey and the rest we all are aware of. Unfortunatly there will always be blaggers and people will take in their stories, however, if we can identify such persons and the beauty of this site and the internet you can name and shame with out your ID being known, not a sh** house tactic but some people are not that way inclined to have to or want to front persons that may decide to take the truth to heart. There is a saying "shout loud and long enough and people beieve" These people dont have any effect to me or my teriers, I know who they are and they know I know, their diluted blood will never be introduced in to mine even if there are 1 off workers, the risk is to much to dilute and infect what I have. I personaly do not know of 1 proper terrier man that shows, some will show pups to support the show organisors and get their pups used to other terriers but thats about it unless the show has a entered class, these classes are what keeps the shows going

By the way I do not profes to have the best, never have and never will. I have my measuring stick and I set my standards quite high, I am not fanatical on line breeding but I will insist that the stud terriers pedigree (if a part out cross is required) is of top quality, partly related to mine, none quitter, not bothered about colour, however, do prefer black. I am also certainly not kennel blind, if I see a quality stud that is from similiar blood it will be used and has been in the past.

Glad to see their are some proper terrier lads on here

Have a good season