Fox Pre Ban

I have never really been a foxing man or owned foxing dogs, however when I was much younger the boys I knocked about with were fox daft..

They always advised entering a young dog with a older dog..

Prior to this they always ran them on deer.. Big confidence boost for them pulling big things ..

Mind there still in for a shock when Charlie bites back..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a lot will tackle a 180lb stag either, baying or grabbing them once their on floor after been pushed then hitting a fence aren't tackling them too me with a fox or stag you cant put into a dog

suppose when its about 18 months old -2 years old , by then it should have matured i n the head, but some dogs can be later to tackle teeth. Its just down to temp, seen some dogs want fight any other

Personally I think its either in the dog or it aint .All you can do is make sure its mentally old enough to introduce it to teeth .Enter it too young and you may ruin the dog.One more thing to add is

suppose when its about 18 months old -2 years old , by then it should have matured i n the head, but some dogs can be later to tackle teeth. Its just down to temp, seen some dogs want fight any other dog they see+meet, yet (dont)want to mix it with old charlie, then you get some sensitve round the house and with people+dogs, but will rip a fox apart. its either in them or it aint. :yes:

I agree Bird,its either in them or not.Had a jrt that did them below and also above.And yet you get lurchers that quit that are twice the size

• Like 1

I have never really been a foxing man or owned foxing dogs, however when I was much younger the boys I knocked about with were fox daft..

They always advised entering a young dog with a older dog..

Prior to this they always ran them on deer.. Big confidence boost for them pulling big things ..

Mind there still in for a shock when Charlie bites back..

Always thought bambi was a step up from charlie?

Am just wondering pre ban how people got there lurcher to start taking fox without another dog that would teach the new dog and at what age they would start them at?T

Take them ratting a bit first to get them a bit more hard mouthed and used to things having a go back then gradually start by finding the smallest weakest looking foxs then build your dogs confidence and knowledge of what its dealing with and then move on from there. No good slipping a soft mouth lurcher used to retrieving rabbits live to hand into a big strong dog fox, all your dog will do is treat it the same as a rabbit pick it up barely squeezing and then WOLLOP the fox has turned in your dogs jaws and took his nose off or an eye out or one of his ears off ive heard of it happening, but yh really the best way is to use an experienced dog to teach. just my opinion

Be more dogs willing to bounce a Roe of a fence, than take a peppering of a fox..

That's how my pals done it rightly or wrongly it seemed to work well for them..

Was thinking of fallow pal

dogs are strange animals, they will tackle 180 stag, and deer can kill a lurcher, yet a poxey 18lb dog fox, that carnt kill a lurcher, they dont like to tackle .? few nips on the nose from old charlie , soon sorts them (out)that really want it or not. :yes:

• Like 1

Am just wondering pre ban how people got there lurcher to start taking fox without another dog that would teach the new dog and at what age they would start them at?T

Take them ratting a bit first to get them a bit more hard mouthed and used to things having a go back then gradually start by finding the smallest weakest looking foxs then build your dogs confidence and knowledge of what its dealing with and then move on from there. No good slipping a soft mouth lurcher used to retrieving rabbits live to hand into a big strong dog fox, all your dog will do is treat it the same as a rabbit pick it up barely squeezing and then WOLLOP the fox has turned in your dogs jaws and took his nose off or an eye out or one of his ears off ive heard of it happening, but yh really the best way is to use an experienced dog to teach. just my opinion

:laugh::laugh::laugh::whistling:

• Like 3

use young dogs on young prey they will learn that its not a game without getting a bad eating from a mature fox. its like an apprenticeship never throw them in at the deep end bring the dog on by keeping him winning gradually building his confidence and maturity then its up to him weather he stays on them or not

• Like 2

I always walk up to the fox with the young dog on the lead an let him watch what the other dog is doing then when the fox is dead let him have a rag for a couple of mins..Ill do that for a good few nights out till I know the young dogs ready an up for it..then run him with the older more experienced dog..THAT'S AFTER THE FOX HAS BEEN SHOT OF COURSE... ?

• Like 2

Be more dogs willing to bounce a Roe of a fence, than take a peppering of a fox..

That's how my pals done it rightly or wrongly it seemed to work well for them..

Was thinking of fallow pal

dogs are strange animals, they will tackle 180 stag, and deer can kill a lurcher, yet a poxey 18lb dog fox, that carnt kill a lurcher, they dont like to tackle .? few nips on the nose from old charlie , soon sorts them (out)that really want it or not. :yes:

Not a lot will tackle a 180lb stag either, baying or grabbing them once their on floor after been pushed then hitting a fence aren't tackling them too me :laugh: with a fox or stag you cant put into a dog that the lord hasn't ,here endeth the lesson :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by DEERMAN
  • Like 8